Monday, June 23, 2008

The Christopher House

Matt and I were assigned to give talks in church yesterday. The typical, you're new and everyone needs to get to know you, talk. It worked. Those talks rocketed us into the ward. Everyone knows us now and treats us as though we've been in the ward for years.

One woman, Janine, who is investigating the church, came up to me after church and invited me over for lunch. I've never met this woman, but she treated me as though we were good friends who needed a chance to catch up. She lives at the Christopher House, which incidentally enough is less than a block away from our apartment. Now the Christopher House, as it's been explained to me is Wenatchee's mental/meth-addict hospital. The woman who told me about it said I should move and that it's a scary place. I couldn't say no to this sweet woman who's inviting me over for lunch, but from the moment I said yes to the moment I walked across the street I was nervous.

Nervous. Why was I nervous? Fear of the unknown I guess. I chalk most of my anxiety up to pride. Thinking I am better than the people who reside in the oh so scary Christopher House. We're all children of God right? He loves us all the same right? And didn't I just give a talk yesterday about the 13th Article of Faith and how I believe in being benevolent and doing good to all men? I wasn't sure what to expect from this new friendship but I kept hearing my father's voice in my mind telling me that everyone needs love, and that's how God would want me treating His children.

So with some trepidation, and praying the whole way, I walked over and met Janine and everyone else she introduced me to (she's quite the social butterfly) for lunch. I didn't end up having lunch, mainly because I thought it was free and didn't bring my wallet. But that's okay, it didn't look that appetizing anyway.

Janine and her fiance James definitely have their problems and their checkered pasts. And the other inmates have their very apparent physical and mental issues, but my prayer was answered - that I would see this woman and the other residents as God sees them and not the way I would normally see them. It makes me wonder about my own issues that are just as real as those residents of the Christopher House but maybe don't show as readily. I may look normal but I have just as much need of saving as any of them do. I guess that's the miraculous thing about the atonement. Hmm . . . I'll have to think more about that . . . This is all written fairly stream of consciousness, can you tell?

But anyway, I wasn't remotely in my comfort zone, but, thankfully, I also wasn't a complete weirdo either. I don't think Janine and I will ever be BFF's but at least I was able to spend 30 minutes with a woman in very different circumstances than my own without hating myself afterwards for being so condescending. Does that make sense? I guess it doesn't need to as long as it makes sense to me. Baby steps Sara, baby steps into being a better human being.

I hope you still love me after my confession.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

You are brave for going, even after you knew what the house was. Brave, brave, brave. As for the talk, glad it went okay, and that you are now "in" with the ward. That's how I remember being introduced to new people--them giving a talk in Sacrament meeting. Aparently they don't believe in meeting people that way in our ward, however. Adam and I have been in the ward 13 months and have never been asked to give a talk. Guess they didn't want to get to know us. Sigh...that's why you were my only friend. (come back?)

Sara said...

Oh my poor Claudia. That is the most pitiable comment. If it makes you feel any better, we weren't asked to speak for at least a year. We thought it was kind of weird too. I miss you. Come up and visit!!!

Claudia said...

Sara...sorry, I wasn't trying to be a downer. Keep in mind that I say most things with a hint of sarcasm, and self-deprication is one of my favorite mediums of, well, making fun of myself. But always in a sarcastic way. Not that I'm saying I don't want you back. Cause I do.

Christy said...

Sara! YAY! I am so glad I saw that little link on Claudia's blog.
You are such a brave girl for giving a talk and meeting new people! I am so happy you are having a good time up there. Is Matt's job going well? Doesn't he take the bar really soon? Is that how you spell bar? Is it just normal "b-a-r?" Yeah, I'm not sure. Anyway, I am glad things are going well and that you are making friends.
Send me an email at pac_1105@hotmail.com so we can send you an invitation to view our blog. We are making it private since we have a baby now and everything. (Aren't I snotty assuming you want to see it?) :)

Jen said...

I love you so much Sara. Totally love the stream of consciousness . . . it's as if I am listening to you on the other end of the phone line. I love it.

Your baby steps into a better human being are a lot bigger than you think. You are such a wonderful person!

We'll talk soon.