Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ice Cream Man

So we have an ice cream truck that comes through our neighborhood every afternoon. I smile every time I hear the music rolling down the street. It reminds me of our ice cream truck in Virginia that sold both over-priced ice cream and garbage-pail kids. Somehow I always seemed to have money for the latter.

I've never actually seen Wenatchee's ice cream truck - not until today that is. When I heard it coming I sauntered over to the window. But by sauntering I missed my opportunity. This was no casual ice cream truck. Thankfully we live on a corner and the truck was turning to pass our house yet again. So I raced over to the other window to see this truck going at least 50 miles an hour (I think we're in a 25 miles an hour zone). Okay, so it might not have been going that fast, but it was definitely booking it down the street. Fast enough that the poor neighborhood children would hear the ice-cream desire-inducing music only to run outside to eat the truck's dust. Sad. Very sad.

Okay, can I confess something? This is all true but I thought of that last sentence and thought it was "so clever" that I had to write an entire post around it. That might be even more sad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara! We are getting so excited about your visit!! The whole family was reading your blog....we love the peek into "Sara's world!" Phillip just wants to know where the pictures are?!? We love you guys....

Christy said...

So I am really glad you wrote the post around that sentence. I keep laughing about it even as I am writing this note.

The StaceNeedle said...

Hi sara, Glad you found my page! I'll add yours to mine! I know the Burnett's in Wenatchee. Leanne's famliy. Do you remember leanne? Cindy and Dave. They are a very cool family! I also know a couple there who are friends with the burnett's but I forget their name. They were in my family ward in Utah growing up. Too bad I don't remember. They have cute kids and are fun! I heard the ice cream man today at alki beach...

Brian and Melissa Finley said...

Hey Sara,

I'm so stoked! I didn't know you had a blog...and I had no idea that you guys were living in Wenatchee!! Is it really true?? I'm so excited to see you again and hang out like old times...well, like old times, plus a couple husbands and kids:) So glad to be able to read about "Sara's world":)

Miss ya,
Melissa

Deanna said...

I remember garbage pail kids!!! I remember thinking they were sooo cool... hey Melissa, is this the Melissa from the dorms???

Tamara said...

:)

i love it!!! i think the "eating dust" line is pretty clever.

and -- i actually have a brand new pack of GPK at my desk. i still have yet to open them. keeping the nostalgia fresh, i guess (but apparently not the gum!). who knew they were still available?

Sara said...

I love that you have a new pack of GPK. I honestly didn't know that they still made them. I wonder if they are as innocently gross as they were some decades ago.