Thursday, July 10, 2008

Funny thing happened on the train

Yesterday I took a bus from Wenatchee to Seattle and then a train from Seattle to Portland. On the train, I ended up sitting across from a couple from Australia. Actually he is from Oregon, but has been living in Australia for 35 years where he met and married his Australian wife. This is all inconsequential information, but I felt like I should be completely accurate. Anyway, they were a fabulous couple who made the train ride a lot more fun. They told me about their two children. One of which is dating a girl, Sarah, who is "lovely". They kept saying that over and over again as if they were trying to convince themselves of it. You could totally tell that although they admired their son for his commitment and loyalty to his girlfriend Sarah, who is a lovely girl, they were secretly hoping that he would end up with the neighbor girl and life long best friend, Purdy. Odd name, but you know, they're Australian. Foreigners always have odd names. The best part about it is that her last name is Skerry, pronounced scary. So yes, they have a daughter named Purdy Skerry. I guess her father is an eccentric genius who wanted to make sure that no one forgot his one and only daughter. Where was her mother, I asked, when the naming was done? After all, that's what mothers are for, to protect their babies from the random whims of their fathers. The couple said that although not as much as her husband, she is eccentric in her own right. So there you have it, poor Purdy is left with an odd name crushing on the neighbor boy who is dating Sarah, a lovely girl.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Ok, so I started laughing really hard at this poor girl's name, but had to stifle it because I almost woke up my baby. Poor, poor Purdy Skerry.

Hilary Butler said...

Can I just say briefly that I love you, and think you are one of my favorite people? Thanks for being delightful, and for letting me rediscover so many reasons why we're friends by posting all of these lovely stories. So fun to catch up.

Claudia said...

So man, I haven't been on the computer in a week and a half, and you've just gone to town with blogging! Well done! So this post made me laugh (not so good because I'm at the checkout desk at work). And then I read Christy's comment and started laughing again. It was so fun seeing you Thursday!! I seriously had a great time! Unfortunately, Adam thought that when you said "I brought you fudge" when he came home from his game, that you meant that you brought HIM fudge. So he ate the whole thing. In one sitting. I didn't even get to try it. :o( So sad. (need I mention that I was angry???)

Jen and Alec said...

Hey Sara! I found your blog through Melissa's and it is so fun to hear your voice through your blog! How are you doing? Good luck with the house decision. I have to say, I worried just as much before we bought our first house but now that we are back in school and in an apartment again, I am only excited to do it again. It is completely worth it in the long run.

Anonymous said...

hello! once again thanks for sharing! i of course had a big smile when you wrote 'that foreigners always have odd names' :-)
have a wonderful day!
greets
moritz

The StaceNeedle said...

I love this story. It will be good to tell to others! You should come to Seattle and visit me sometime!