Tuesday, August 19, 2008

WAAAY out of shape Sara

Matt's Grandfather gave us some house-buying advice I think we're going to take. He said, "maybe you shouldn't make any final decisions on a house until you know the results of the bar exam." Great advice. I can't believe we didn't think of that. So even though our home-buying spree has been temporarily put on hold I still went out with our realtor (thanks Merillee) to look at the different neighborhoods around town and see what types of houses are in our price range. I'll be honest, while not holes, they aren't super exciting either. But I just know that come October, our dream starter home is going to come on the market and we'll just love every moment of the home buying process.

But that is not what I'm writing about. I'm writing to tell you how out of shape I am. So, anyway, while I was riding around with our realtor Betsy she pointed out Saddle Rock, the hike of Wenatchee. She mentioned that the 6th graders hike it every year to learn about physical fitness and nature. She said, "Believe it or not, for a lot of those 6th graders this hike is quite the achievement." Now in my head, I'm thinking about the stereotypical pudgy kid who sits inside watching tv and playing video games instead of taking in the sun. Oh how condescending I was.

That Saturday, Matt and I decided to hike to Saddle Rock. We got to the trail head and started up. No big deal. It's a little steeper than I would have imagined but I'm sure it will level out at some point. WRONG!! It never leveled. In fact it just kept getting steeper. I kept one foot in front of the other thinking, "if i can just get to the bend in the trail". But I'd get to that @#!@ bend and my heart would sink as I saw more of the same. About 3/4 of the way up I died. My lungs were about to burst out of my chest and my legs were jello. I told Matt to go on without me. So much for all those pudgy kids. Matt was super sweet the entire time. Wonderfully patient, understanding, not remotely judgmental. All the things I love most about him.

So Matt left to finish the hike and I sat there thinking about all the walking around town I do. Almost every day for an hour a pop. It might keep me healthy; help me to not gain weight but it does bubkis for putting me in any sort of decent shape. I wasn't feeling too shamed about the whole thing until we had dinner with our neighbors and I went walking with my friend and her two children. All of them hike Saddle Rock. Even the five-year Silas. I stared at them in disbelief. But it's so steep? They all agreed, but with that sound in their voice that said, "yeah, so?"

So today I put on my helmet and went out for a bike ride. A short bike ride, only a few miles, but just enough to put me back on the bike-riding bandwagon. The next time I hike Saddle Rock I too want to be able to say, "yeah, so?"

3 comments:

Michael Asay said...

FWIW, I get winded hiking up hills/mountains, too--it's nothing to be embarrassed about. But the next time you're in town, we can do lunch Michael-style: a 40-minute run through town; that will get you in shape faster than Aaron can eat a popsicle :)

Kotters said...

I totally know what you mean. I am so out of shape. Everytime we go hiking, I struggle to keep up with my children. BTW, I found your blog through Melissa's. I hope you don't mind.

Jenise

Nichole said...

you make me laugh...you crack me up!