Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ye Olde Leavenworth

For those of you who have never lived in Washington, you might not know of a little Bavarian-style town in the alpine-esque mountains outside Seattle called Leavenworth. It is everything German. Even the McDonalds is done in the Bavarian style.

With Matt studying for the last three months and me out of town of late we have not had an official date for a while. Dinner out, yes, anything else no. So with stars starting to align I was super eager to get out of the house and out of town. Leavenworth is 20-30 minutes away and has a few miniature golf courses I was excited to try. Who knew that a town of maybe a couple thousand residents has two mini golf courses while metropolis Wenatchee has none - at least none I could google. So to Leavenworth we went.

Matt, I think, would have preferred go somewhere a little closer to home, but once we got into the village limits he was a fun date giggling and being entertained by all that is Leavenworth. All of a sudden everything was "Ye Olde Wells Fargo" or "Ye Olde Howard Johnson". We thought our little mini golf place was pretty cool with it's Bavarian theme but after our game (we tied) we walked towards town and found another mini golf place that was more like a real golf course without the long drives. It even had real, live goats jumping along the hillside. That one totally kicked trash over our puny, cheesy, imitation course. Between that, this cool sushi/thai restaurant we found and all the bakeries and sweet shops, I think we definitely have a reason to go back.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I LOVE Leavenworth! My sisters and I used to go hang out there. There is the best hat shop right on the main drag where you can try on all the funky hats. My other favorite is the Christmas shop. I am SO glad you went and hung out there. It is really cool at Christmas time with all the snow. They totally deck it out with lights and decorations.

Claudia said...

Okay, let me get this straight...Leavenworth is GERMAN, and yet you managed to eat at a SUSHI/THAI restaurant? How did that happen? And what do you have against German food anyway? J/K. But seriously, try German food! Wienerschnitzel is one of my all-time favorite meals!

Sara said...

Listen Miss Hensel. Just because you're oh so German and make oh so fun German Pancakes doesn't mean that I have to eat German just because I happen to be in a German-inspired town! Just Kidding. We actually didn't eat while we were there. The Sushi place is a plan for future trips. But I will definitely make a note to try the Wienerschnitzel.

Claudia said...

he, he, he...