Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Crybabies Cry at EVERYTHING

I had a seminary teacher in high school who cried at least once during every lesson. I would always think to myself, "Seriously, woman, keep it together." So mean huh? Ah, what cruel irony.

I went visiting teaching tonight and I found myself getting really choked up over the lesson and I realized, I have become this sister. I cry, or at least get choked up at EVERYTHING. Maybe not everything, but pretty much anything remotely spiritual, remotely sad or remotely tender.

I was watching the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe the other day and I was choked up for the better part of the movie. Every year during the primary program at church, Matt turns to me at least once with incredulity spilling out of him and asks, "Are you crying?" I don't know what's come over me? Am I to be a crybaby for the rest of my life? Because, truthfully, it doesn't look that appealing. Does anyone else suffer from this? Does anyone else get choked up while watching the Olympics, while watching small children sing, while talking about anything relating to the spiritual? Am I alone in my ultra-emotional state? Please, I need some support here.

9 comments:

Michael Asay said...

I cry every time I see the end of Field of Dreams and The Natural. For some reason, watching scenes of guys having a catch with their dad really gets to me. I also cried when I saw Aaron perform for the first time in his primary program at church a few years ago.

Natalie said...

I have always been a crybaby, about everything. Not just the spiritual. It's terrible. I think it drives Mickey's family CRAZY, but it can't be helped. I've been blessed with ample tear ducts.

Welcome to the club!

Claudia said...

Oh, Sara--you and I really do have a lot in common. I would like to say the emotions are purely hormonal or have only developed in the last few years, but alas, I have had them, well, pretty much post-puberty. I, too cry when I see children singing in church (okay, maybe not so much now that I'm in primary), but Mother's Day would get me every time. And yes, I have cried while watching the olympics. Sometimes even classical music makes me well up--it has to be really beautiful, but it feels so inspired! And nature, too. Yep, I'm a weeper.

Sara said...

You guys are so great. I'm so glad to know that I have comrades in tissues. Thank you.

NW Harbert's said...

Sara, at least you don't cry at kleenex commercials like my mom, bless her heart. Since getting pregnant I find that I get teary eyed at the silliest things. Commercials of car accidents for car insurance, sick kids, reunions and many other random things. Shawn came home for lunch one day to find me crying during a sweet movie, then again during the following commercial for something strange. He just had to laugh and hug me. At least he hugged me!!!

Catherine said...

Hi Sara! I found your blog via Megan's. I cry almost every time I listen to Coldplay. Random, I know.

Brian and Melissa Finley said...

Well, you know that I've never been much of a crier. But, since I've had my kids I have shed many more tears. I think it's the change of hormones...or maybe it's the complete lack of sleep or times of utter frustration...either way, I feel more like a woman:)

Deanna said...

haha, yeah I cry at mushy stuff, and sad stuff and sweet stuff and spiritual stuff (you should have seen me reading "The Giving Tree" to Eileen the other day) but as bad as it can be normally, it's TONS worse when I'm pregnant....

ME said...

Are you forgetting the ultimate cry baby. DAD! Hello he cried watching a south park episode. But it's true I find myself getting more tender with age. I was seriously bawling yesterday during relief society as a sister I barely know bore her testimony. I wasn't the only one tearing up but the difference was I was bawling. Did I mention I was bawling.