Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Volunteer Opportunities

When we first moved to Wenatchee I went to a few places looking for volunteer work. You know, to round out my day. The tutoring center at the community college never got back to me and after a few weeks of being told by the tutoring center manager's secretary that, yes she has my information, and oh yes she will definitely call, I finally gave up.

After that, I went to a local organization that helps drop outs prepare for their GED. I thought that sounded like a really good cause so I said I would love to help. But because I was going to be travelling a lot during the summer I said I would start when their fall classes started. I gave them my information to do a background check but never heard back.

I wasn't sure if I should just start showing up so I went down to the center to see if they still wanted me. It was obviously busy that morning but the receptionist told me someone would be available to talk to me in ten minutes. Great, I thought, I have ten minutes. So I waited for ten minutes. Then fifteen. The woman came by and said it was a busy morning and asked that I wait for a few more minutes. I was good and patient and understanding, until another fifteen minutes went by and I could see her having a sit-down conversation with another teacher. Now, I didn't know if this was a super-duper pressing discussion, but she looked pretty comfortable in her seat and so I left. Not bitter, but definitely feeling like free help and support was not high on this organization's priority list.

From there I walked over to the high school to see if THEY needed any help. They hooked me up with their volunteer coordinator and an Americorps volunteer who were beside themselves with excitement and gratitude that I would show up and ask to help. I guess the grant they are working under requires them to get a lot of community involvement. So, like I said, they were really really happy to see me. And with math skills. Well that's even better.

I told them I was going out of town for a couple weeks and would be back to start helping out in October. "Great," they said. "Thank you SO much," they said. I'll be honest, my ego was totally stroked that day. It's amazing what some enthusiastic flattery will get you.

Today was my first day. It's a fun group of kids. A group of motivated but low achieving, low income, first-generation college hopefuls were selected for a program wherein if they maintain a C average and attend this after-school tutoring program a couple of times a week for four years they will be given a one-year scholarship to the college of their choice. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm excited to get involved and help these kids to figure out their potential. Here's to having time to volunteer!!!

4 comments:

NW Harbert's said...

Good for you!! I wish I could do more than what I do at the girls school. In time!!

Claudia said...

That's awesome, Sara...and a little strange that you've had to pretty much hunt people down to give away your time. Ummm, don't non-profits usually want free labor? We love the volunteers at the library! They do lots of stuff for us (and did I mention for free?) Glad you found something that works for you and uses your skills! Though you have many, so I'm sure it wouldn't take long to find the perfect fit. Good luck!

Sara said...

Seriously Claudia, you're killing me. And making me gag a little for that matter.

Natalie said...

You'll be SO awesome at this! And I'm proud of you for filling your time with service. I'd read books or nap I think. Yes, at this point in my life, I could really go for that. You rock.