Monday, December 1, 2008

Compliments, I think?

So I think I have mentioned that I teach Gospel Doctrine in our ward here in the Wenatch. I've never really taught before and was really humbled by the calling considering all the men and women my age are in primary, so I'm left with all the older couples who have so much more experience then I do. You will understand, then, how grateful I am to everyone who smiles at me and gives good comments. I honestly feel like it's more of a collaborative class than anything else. There is one older gentleman (really old) from Holland, I think, who speaks in an accent I can't make out no matter how hard I listen, but even he smiles and shows me his love.

So I love my class. That's the gist of all that. And what's fun sometimes is when I get people who ask if I'm a teacher by trade. What a compliment. Yesterday I had one such person give me that compliment. But she went a step further to say that I should quit my accounting job to pursue teaching. Because, after all, who wants to be stuck in a career they dislike when they could be doing something more fulfilling. In truth, I would love to be a tutor. I really do enjoy helping someone one on one. And in high school, I had wanted to be a teacher. But how do I explain to this woman that I am not really interested in any career right now but the one of getting me pregnified. And that accounting is going to help pay off my husband's student loans a WHOLE lot faster than teaching ever would. I might have said something to help her understand my plight but I don't think she was having any of it. So I guess I'm stuck. Do I follow what this woman feels is my true path to teaching or do I forever squander my happiness and talents by choosing the path that will pay off those student loans and potentially one very expensive baby?

By the way, just in case you're wondering, even after the fasting and prayers of so many loved ones, I guess November wasn't my month. Don't worry, I'm doing fine.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Hey Sara. I'm sure you're a fantastic teacher and I wish I could be in your class! Don't doubt your career decisions/motives. Remember, I went to college to be a teacher, and one of the things that I only discovered whilst student teaching is that I much preferred working one-on-one with students than teaching the whole class. So if I could've been paid to be a tutor, I probably would've taken that route instead quitting altogether. So if you know that's what you like, then why let anyone else tell you what your calling in life is? Also remember that in GD, people most likely want to be there to learn and participate, unlike in a school setting. It makes a huge difference (as pertaining to the enjoyment level).

waibelfamily said...

Hi Sara! Long time no see! How are you!? I came across your blog on your sisters blog and took a look, I love reading everyones blogs. You can check out mine too if you want! Hope youre doing well. xoxo Candy (Robbins)