Friday, January 23, 2009

The Book Thief

I joined a book club. I went to the library to ask about them and found out there's something like 200 in Wenatchee. I wasn't cool enough to join the private clubs so I joined the library's. They met this past Wednesday and I went late, on purpose, to sit in the back and figure out if they were cool enough for me. The club was made up of about 7 retiree-age woman with one retiree-age and politically conservative man . I tried to act all vague and discreet but they instantly asked if I was there to join their group, made me a name tag and gave me their next book. So I guess I'm in. The Book we're reading for February is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Has anyone read the book? Any thoughts? I'm kind of excited to start venturing out into more modern literature since I seem to be hopelessly stuck in the 18th and 19th centuries when left to my own devices. In fact they asked if I had any suggestions for books to read in the future and all I could come up with was anything by Thomas Hardy. Is that ultra lame?

On a cooler note, the library buys the books requested for the book club for you to check out. In fact, we went to the library a week ago so Matt could check out a book for research purposes. They didn't have it so he "requested" it, which means they buy it for him and then let him know when it comes in. Pretty slick huh?

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Wow...that's a pretty nice system the've got up there in the Wenatch. When Hillsboro requests something, that means they're just borrowing it from another library (does that make the hillboro library a "library patron", too?) Anywhoo, I've never read/heard about "the Book Thief", so sorry I can't help you out there. And I've never read any Thomas Hardy, though I've been watching "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" on Masterpiece Theater...is he good?