Friday, January 30, 2009

Plea for Commonness

It has recently come to my attention that I feel very strongly about a certain topic. Before I introduce it I would like to apologize to anyone I might offend. I promise I hold no ill will towards anyone. And to those who feel differently, I pray that you will help me to see your point of view. So, is that scary enough of an introduction?

The beef I have, that Matt has helped me to see as abnormal, is my obsession with strange names. And it's more than just the wacky names that celebrities name their children like Rocket Inspektor or Jermajesty or even Tu Morrow (http://www.cracked.com/article_15765_20-most-bizarre-celebrity-baby-names.html) so funny, seriously. No this is more your average weird names (no examples will be given so as to offend everyone too much).

I'm not saying everyone needs to name their child Sara or Matthew, but what's so wrong with a good solid name? There's lots of them out there, without having to come up with your own. What's wrong with a name that let's everyone know they're dealing with a male or a female? What's wrong with a name that everyone knows how to pronounce without having to ask twice because they thought they misheard you? Or a name where the poor child is not constantly having to spell it out for people? "Yes, that's Jermajesty, Majesty with a Jer at the beginning."

I understand that some want to make their child stand out but wouldn't it be better to have them stand out on their own merit and not because they have a unique name? I realize this is a potentially sensitive subject and everyone has their reasoning, so if you've used unusual names (which I define as anything you made up on your own - including bizarre spellings) I would love to non-judgementally hear your thoughts. Hopefully you will be the help I need to get me past my obsession.

6 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm with you. However, I named my daughter Ava and it's in the top 5 for most popular girl names. I chose it because it felt right. sagra

Christy said...

Seriously, I agree with you. There is this hilarious article about this exact thing by Eric Snyder in his Snide Remarks column in some newspaper in Salt Lake. I am going to go find it for you and get you the link.

Christy said...

I found it!! I just reread it and yes, it is as funny as it was when I read it for the first time 6 years ago. Here's the link:
http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/the-nayme-gaimme/
Everyone should read this article. So hilarious. Actually, most of his Snide Remarks are pretty stinking hilarious.

The StaceNeedle said...

Nice one Sara! I think I'll choose all existing names...cept maybe elephant. I really like elephants and giraffes so I should probably name my child after them. elephaffe! Like Ella fitzgerald but a little more exotic or safari-ish..:)

Claudia said...

It drives me nuts when people take a common name--or at least one that I've heard used before--and they change the spelling to make it sound a little different. It totally bugs. Can't explain why, but it bugs.

Sara said...

Thanks guys! If nothing else, I know I'm not the only obsessed person out there!