Sunday, February 8, 2009

Calling All Dreamers

Do you dream? In your sleep I mean. Do you remember your dreams? Do you take stock in your dreams? Do you act on your dreams?

Most of my dreams have to do with going to the bathroom, being with my family, and avoiding those intent on my death. But every now and again I'll have a dream that will stick with me and I generally take them to heart. Early this morning (3 am) I awoke from this dream I had wherein the pregnancy test I took actually came out positive. I was pregnant!! Wahoo!! Matt and I danced around the house shocked and amazed that it was actually positive. I started calling all my friends and family and Matt told everyone at church. I thought telling everyone at church so early was in poor taste but decided not to quibble. I woke up certain that if I took a pregnancy test it would turn out just as positive as my dream. But I decided against it just then because I knew that after taking a positive pregnancy test I would be too excited to go back to sleep and would probably wake Matt in the process. So in the interest of sleep and happiness I decided to go back to bed and take the test at a more reasonable hour.

By seven I was less sure about my dream and I laid in bed for half an hour weighing the pros and cons of the test. I'm not sure I can currently follow the logic of my debate but at 7 am the rationale made perfect sense in my head. I eventually got up the courage to take the test only to have it turn out negatively. At 3am I was so certain that dream was one of those dreams, that I wasn't so much sad as shocked by the outcome.

So what do you think about your dreams? Do you take stock in your dreams? Do you act on your dreams? Am I crazy? This is a question to everyone. So if you've never commented, let this be your opportunity. If you comment regularly, thanks and please continue!!

5 comments:

Claudia said...

since my dreams usually involve my ability to fly or involve escaping vampires or having a bad day at work (i.e. I've forgotten how to do my job tasks), I don't usually take much stock in them, but I by no means am the rule. So if you dreamed something cool that you hope for, why not?

NW Harbert's said...

Sara, I don't know how much to tell you about taking stock in dreams. I finally did have to take stock in a couple of recurring dreams. I had this very vivid dream of a slick dance floor and a baby. I had told myself for almost 4 years that I couldn't have anymore kids due to really bad complications with my last pregnancy. My husband as always silently known that there was one more child on the way for us. He never pushed, just waited for me to be ready. Well after having more than 2-3 of these types of dreams, I began praying and received confirmation that we were supposed to have another baby and things would go smoothly, hence the smooth dance floor. I have had a great pregnancy thus far. I also had a dream of a boy baby once and 1 week later we found out that we were having a boy.
The only thing I would caution against in believing that your dream will be coming true that minute, it still might take time. It might just mean that it will happen. And now you know your reaction to it when it does!! I wish you all the best. Also I will be calling you soon to talk about that quilt I am almost ready to start on it.

Adamo said...

I have this periodically recurring dream where I'll be minding my own business and some dude will punch me or insult my wife, etc. As I prepare to physically dominate this lesser male, I go to swing and my arm moves so slow. It's like I've forgotten how to use it. Usually in the same dream, I'll suddenly be walking west along Stone Run Ln (the street I grew up on) and then get the feeling a monster like the one on lost is chasing me. I start run but feel the same as when I try to punch. I barely move. It's maddening. What incompetence is my subconcious trying to help me identify?

Deanna said...

I dream alot, but it's not usually about something that is happening currently, but more often about things that will happen, and then months/years/whatever down the road, some random piece of a dream will resurface as it's happening in my life as MAJOR deja vu....

Lance and Kristi said...

Great comments above...I believe what someone else said - don't believe that your dreams are going to come true right that minute, however, they may come true in the future.

I dreamt that our baby was going to be born looking like an Asian baby. Funny, huh? We had to do IVF so there is always a chance they mixed up the embryos. Luckily, they didn't.

Here's to hoping you get that postitive test sooner than later.