Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Calling Shopping

Have you ever had a calling at church you wished you didn't? Do you ever think about moving just so you can lose your calling? Have you ever dreamed about going into your bishop and negotiating your calling the same way you do your annual raise or when your searching for a car?
"Well, I'd like to stay in this ward, but the Bishop of the third ward promised me assistant scout master (Matt's dream calling not mine). If you can match that offer I can promise to stay, otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to have to move." Or, "I can promise full tithing, double fast offerings and 100% home teaching and visiting teaching if you can promise me the calling of my choice. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to have to go somewhere that will. You're choice and, in my opinion a fairly easy one."
Ah, if only.

3 comments:

Claudia said...

I'm confused...you WANT to be assistant scout master? I thought you were G.D. teacher. As for having a calling I wish I didn't...yep, I'm there right now.

Adamo said...

I hate when I got callings in student wards that were given just to give me a calling. I always felt like saying, "hey, it's okay, I really don't need a calling. I like just sitting in the back and leaving early anyways." And yes I would definately consider moving if I couldn't stand my calling.

ME said...

I've actually tried to negotiate my calling and they just laughed it off thinking I was joking. When asked why we left Beaverton I've told people we didn't like our callings.