Thursday, April 9, 2009

Washington State Apple Blossom Festival

I was walking over to the high school the other day for tutoring and I saw it - the first signs of the Apple Blossom Festival that everyone keeps talking about. Six plastic patio chairs with a bench made out of cinder blocks and ply wood all tied together by a sturdy looking rope. I had heard that the Festival is a big deal and my RadiSys co-workers made me a fact sheet before I moved noting how early the parade route got scoped by very forward-looking attendees, but I had to see it to believe it. A full two weeks early and already the number of chairs on the side of the road are multiplying exponentially every day.

I finally got around to looking up the Festival online and found a three-page itinerary of events that lasts from April 23rd to May 3rd. That's close to two weeks!! There are three parades, three fairs, a prayer service, a hydroplane regatta, a race, a pie-eating contest not to mention a pie bake-off, and my personal favorite for it's sheer randomness a Bocce Ball Tournament. And the best part about it is not having to find parking because although our apartment is kind of dumpy it IS within walking distance to all the fun. I'm actually getting a little excited now that it's dawning on me just what sort of event this is to be.

So, if you can't find me sometime during those two weeks you know where I'll be. Yep, that's right, getting my face painted. Wahoo for the Wenatch!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Have a marvelous time and each some yummy junk food!