Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Handouts, handouts, handouts

I am the leader of the Mia Maids (14-16 year-old girls). I think I've mentioned that before. I realize I am still fairly new to this and I haven't been that age in a while but can a woman who's first thought when preparing a lesson is not how can I incorporate a super cute handout still be an effective leader? I don't want to cheapen these beautiful young women's experience but handouts just really aren't me. For those of you who have served in young womens or have had young women in your home can you fill me in? Are you a super cute handout girl? Do you love getting them and/or making them? When are they appropriate and when are they just something extra to be thrown in the rubbish bin?

4 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Sara--

I've been in YW almost all of my adult life. I never do handouts (once in a while for something super special or for something that strikes your fancy), but most important, I try to be their friend and enjoy life from their point of view. The most important thing you can do is love them and bear testimony of the Savior and His love for them on a very regular and constant basis. Instead of a handout, bring ice cream sometime and liken it to the gospel somehow:) Hope this helps.

Claudia said...

If by handout, you mean Snickers bars or liccorice, then YES, I did handouts! If you mean paper bookmarks, magnets, crafty crafts and the like, then no. I think I did a handout once or twice when I taught a beginning-of-the-month combined lesson, but otherwise, I didn't really do the handout thing. I guess I realized that a lot of my handouts from my YW years ended up in the trash, so why spend the money and time when I know in my heart of hearts that is what would eventually happen to mine?

Sara said...

Thanks guys. It's good to know I'm not the only one who can love the girls without filling their pockets with gum sporting wrappers that say "Chews the right".

Nichole said...

I gave handouts when I found cute ones that I liked on sugardoodle.net it was neat to see that different girls would keep different handouts. I know this because I would see them in their scriptures or parents told me they put them on their mirror. I wouldn't do anything big...cute and simple. But sharing testimony and being their friend and letting them know you are there for them is important!!!