Sunday, July 5, 2009

Marler Family Fun

Last weekend was Marler family time in Eastern Oregon. I really enjoy Matt's family, but like girls camp, (see other post) it takes me a little while to figure out my expectations. It's amazing how, although fully functional and loving, Matt's family is almost completely opposite in their dynamic to my family. My family is loud and big and almost inclusive to a fault. They want so much for everyone to be included that if someone wants to have some alone time they feel a little offended (deny it if you can mother). Matt's family is more low key. If you want to play a game, let's play a game, if you want to read a book, read a book. No one will think less of you. It took me a day or so to not take their easy-goingness as we-don't-care-about-you-ness. Once I got over that I found myself enjoying the simplicity of days relaxing with the Marlers. Playing games, taking naps, helping with dinner. It was a wonderful time which left me loving Matt's family a little more than I did before.

1 comment:

Michael Asay said...

I can relate to this, although I think I've learned to adapt to the Booren way when I'm around you guys.