Thursday, August 20, 2009

Shopping with Older Women

These are three of my adorable babes. This is them all pumped to start our shopping extravaganza in Seattle. In total we spent 6 hours shopping in two malls. I'm sure they could have stayed longer but I was quickly tiring and eager to begin the two+ trek home sooner rather than later. All in all it was a fun day. They really are fabulous young women. It was funny though to realize I have taken on my mother's role when shopping.

When I was younger and I ventured out on shopping excursions with my mother, she would inevitably point out clothing she thought appropriate only to meet with looks of confusion and/or disgust from me. "Really, you think I would look remotely cute in that?" my eyes would say.
I just didn't understand how my mother and I differed so much on what was acceptable attire.
I'm not sure I am any closer to a conclusion but I now know what it is to see that look. I'm only 29 years old - I thought I was still pretty hip - but I guess I have now reached the age that I am no longer in touch with the styles of today's youth. I quickly learned to be afraid of pointing out a pair of seemingly atrocious shoes for fear they would think them the cutest things ever. I also didn't know what to say when they pulled out something and asked for my opinion. I wanted to make some snarky remark about the store's buyer being off their rocker when they did their ordering, but instead resorted to an assortment of smiles and nods.
So there you have it. I now have a renewed respect for my mother and her unrelenting kindness in shopping with me despite receiving "the look" on more than a few occasions.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

Funny...i'm shocked you lasted 6 HOURS...wow!