Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Victim

Today I join the ranks of credit card fraud victims. I was checking my credit card statement online and noticed a $8,000 charge to some record store based in Denver. Hmmm . . . I know I make no such purchase and I'm pretty sure Matthew would have told me if he had laid out such sums of money. So I called my credit card company and have them on the case. That part of the circumstance is kind of cool, especially in light of my new found Colombo ardor (thank you Netflix online). I imagine some analyst (that's who they said is working on my case) doing the serious investigating only to come up with an airtight case involving a heated confrontation with the culprit where he/she lays out the motive and modus operandi to be followed by a tearful confession.

The part of the circumstance that isn't so cool is knowing I'm vulnerable. Do I distrust the web or my fellow Wenatchens? Who's to blame? I complete a lot of online transactions so I really hope it's not the web, but at the same time, I like feeling safe and secure in the Wenatch and don't really want to give up my trust in my cute town either. I'm hoping I get some sort of information one way or another so I can pick up the pieces of my broken confidence and start rebuilding a stronger more secure heart. (What a pitiable picture)


Few weeks later - I am happy to say the credit card fraud has been expunged from my bill. Not to have to pay $8k for someone else's crime makes me thrilled. Although, almost in the same breath, I am sad to say I didn't get any sense of Colombo-esque justice. When I called my bank to ask what the final verdict was they said they had know idea who it was or how they might have gotten my number. The best advice they can offer is to make sure to watch my monthly statements. It's not remotely satisfying but I guess that's okay. I now have a new card with a new number that is hopefully not as yet known to any potential fraudsters.

2 comments:

Adamo said...

Ohhh...I hope that gets resolved quickly! Good luck!

P.S. It was so great talking to you last week! Miss you!

melissa said...

I am sure it was your shopping trip to Seattle. You never know what lurks in cities like that!