Monday, October 19, 2009

Sudoku - Fun Past Time or All Consuming Addiction?

It's a good thing I firmly believe in moderation in all things. It's an even better thing I don't go into the hard stuff like coffee, alcohol or cigarettes. It's a good thing because I think I just may have an addictive personality - especially when it comes to puzzles. So far over the years I have found myself becoming obsessed with mine sweeper, word twist, spider solitaire, mahjong, bejeweled, hexic, word fill-it-ins, and now sudoku. A little silly don't you think?

I have no cross stitching or quilting project to keep me busy in my free time and I am in between books so I find myself filling spare moments and spare hours with sudoku. Matthew looks at me with a questioning "You're doing ANOTHER one?" look clearly etched on his face. He says he's fascinated by my zeal but I can tell he's worried. I find myself going to bed with numbers and sequences running around in my head. I can't seem to clear it enough to doze off properly.

I think it's finally getting to the same point as all my prior obsessions. The point where I know the only way to clear the addiction is to cut myself off cold turkey for a month or so. Just until I can come back and play objectively once again. When I can complete one puzzle and be done with it instead of doing five or six. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Michael Asay said...

I think it is genetic.

ME said...

It's definitely genetic. Just look at mom and spider solitaire. I too go to bed thinking of the games I've played recently.

Deanna said...

LOL - yep i know the feeling! If it's any comfort I'm there with ya! :P

Brian and Melissa Finley said...

I've been there :)

Jaime said...

I was totally obsessed - even stealing time at work. Then I quit my job and my "work" is taking care of my Baby Love. Now I crave it again, but only during nap times or after her bed time - otherwise she tries to steal my writing utensil.

Jen Hicks said...

I love this post. You are hilarious. I love that you go to bed thinking of numbers and sequences. I do that to but not with such intellect. Love ya