Sunday, February 7, 2010

Grandparents and Their Surrogates

I may have mentioned before this adorable couple in my ward. They are as round as they are tall and are of that indeterminate age when I can't tell if they are my parent's age or my grandparents age. They are retired so I just assume grandparents. And whenever I see them they say how much they adore me, which isn't that what grandparents are supposed to do? So, they along with some other special individuals have become my adopted gp's.

I've never really known my grandparents. On my father's side, my grandmother died in childbirth with him, and my grandfather died when I was 2 or 3. On my mother's side, my grandfather died when my mother was a teenager and my grandmother (while the longest lived) was away in New Mexico living close to her 50 (or so it seems) other grandchildren. One of my only memories of her is that she called me arrogant when I was a teenager. It was probably deserved, but at the time I remember thinking what an awful thing to say to your grand daughter. And it has obviously stuck with me. We also never visited her (much to her dismay); so I have to confess I never really knew her either.

As such, over the last few years, I've latched on to gp-like figures. In high school it was our home teacher Brother Morton (I loved that man) and in Wenatchee, home of, it seems, every senior citizen when they're not spending the winters in Arizona, I have the the cute Eldreds (mentioned above) along with this sweet sister I get to visit teach. They say lovely things whenever I see them and treat me just how I think my grandparents would treat me were they alive and able to know me. I think my own gp's must be as grateful as I am for these heaven-sent individuals. So, if you are of gp age, be nice to the younger people you meet, you could very well be acting on behalf of grateful gps in heaven.

2 comments:

Lance and Kristi said...

Sara, I absolutely love you. Your posts always make me smile. Thanks for being you!

Sara said...

Thank you darling Kristi. That absolutely made my day!!