Sunday, February 21, 2010

Last Minute Thoughts of My Fair Town

Today was my last day of church here in Wenatchee. As such I was able to good-bye to some while others said good-bye to me. I realize that sounds like semantics, but I'm learning that the two are not always the same.

Anyway, as I think about my 21 months in the fair city of Wenatchka I am most thankful for and will miss the following the most:

1. Beautiful weather - it has been sunny and 50 for the last week. We've had some dreary weather as of late, but most often it is gorgeous. I'm thankful that in the last two weeks I'm able to enjoy the Wenatchee weather I have come to love.

2. I love the people who inhabit smaller towns. Not that big town people are inferior, but I love the people who inhabit smaller towns. They are down to earth, happy to help, and welcoming of all new people. From the people at church to my little high school friends, to the random assortment of people I've met around town. Small town people, as a general rule, are just good folks.

3. I love Wenatchee non-traffic. I love that at 5:30 it takes me 8 minutes to get across the bridge instead of 4. I've noticed that I get stressed out now when I drive on freeways in big cities. All thanks to the lack of traffic here in my town. Also thanks to the lack of driving I do these days. I'm still able to walk just about anywhere I go.

4. I love always finding a good parking space and never having to wait for a table when I dine out. I always feel like a VIP - it's fantastic!

5. I have love love loved the opportunities of service I have found with my cute high school kids and my most precious church kids. They mean the world to me and I will most likely miss them the most. Just them alone make my time in the Wenatch completely worthwhile.

Thanks Wenatchee for being such a hotbed of life lessons, growth and support. I have enjoyed you and will always hold you in high regard. Even if, on the date of departure, I say to the rear-view mirror - "see ya suckas."

2 comments:

Adamo said...

Does sound like a nice place to be...but that doesn't change the fact that I get you back! Let me know if there's anything you need help with, and more importantly, when I get to hang out with you!! Safe moving and travel wishes!

Claudia

Adamo said...

I love small towns. Wished I lived in one. My favorite part is the lack of pretention. And you can't be the real estate prices.