Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thoughts on School

A few years ago when Matt graduated from law school, he immediately started regretting his decision not to go to medical school, pursuing an engineering degree, or finishing his chemistry minor. He perfectly appreciated his duty as the bread winner of our family, but I knew that going back to school was the wish of his heart.
Having just become the proud owner of $100k+ of student loans, I was not super eager about adding more to the pile. But wanting to be the supportive wife, I told him as soon as he paid off the first set of loans he could go back for which ever degree suited his fancy.
So it was a surprise to both of us when a little over a year later both of us were equally crazy excited about the adventure of his going back to school, a mite earlier than either of us expected. And a year after that, here we are in State College, Pennsylvania. It is so fun to be in a college town again.
School starts on Monday and you can feel the anticipation of a new year in the air. Parents have been dropping their children off (U-Haul in tow - who needs that much stuff for a college dorm room?) all weekend long, signs are up everywhere welcoming the students back, and grocery stores are crowded as students fill up on ramen and frozen pizza.
I never thought I would be this excited to be back in this lifestyle but there is something almost palpable about the hopeful anticipation of this new adventure. It's fun to dream of all the fun new places we could land. Even our time here in State College is laced with that same sense of fun.
I especially feel it when I go to church. Growing up as a military brat, I became adept at quickly making new friends and acquaintances as well as helping other new people to feel welcome. Somehow as I got older I lost that talent - I started waiting for others to do the welcoming. But being here in State College has brought back that childhood ability. I'm introducing myself, getting involved, and making friends like never before.
So while Matthew is having his adventure learning new things and meeting new people, I'll be having one of my own, one I think is ever so much more fun!!

4 comments:

Jen Hicks said...

how exciting to be in a new place getting to know people. I love people's stories. How they got to this exact point in their lives . There is always the hand of God in each of their stories. Sara! You are amazing. You are a fun, supportive wife and an amazing friend. I love reading your comments on my blog. They are always uplifting. Here is to an awesome first year back at school. So glad I got to talk to you the other day. I love that you always are serving others. Sure love you!

Dad said...

Good daughter,

In another day, i might have said I was proud of you, but knowing there is no righteous pride, let me just say that your blog brings me a great sense of joy, pure and simple. That and humble gratitude that I was blessed with a daughter like you and your sisters. I love you.

Dad

Best Daughter said...

I know what you mean. Not everyone has the benefit of being a military brat and having to go and make a whole new set of friends in just a short period of time every few years. The older I get the more I realize how weird we military brats really are. I'm glad you're putting yourself out there and making new friends. It will make for good experience when you're traveling the world with Matt.

Suzie Petunia said...

So is he liking school?? I'd love to hear more! I heard your mom say you are teaching the teenagers in Sunday school. I bet they love you.

I moved around quite a bit growing up - not military, but my dad got transferred around a lot in his career in retail. Is there such thing as a "retail brat"? We may be a rare breed. But I know what you mean about getting used to introducing yourself. I didn't "get it" until I was almost an adult, so I probably missed out on some friendships. But now I am so eager to make new people feel welcome because I know how much it means.

This post makes me miss living in a college town. Every once in a while Taylor talks about going to medical school. My response is always, "!!!???!!!" But I love new adventures, too!