Friday, September 10, 2010

Complaints from a College Apartment

While these past two months of being here have been some of our happiest in our marriage to date, and while State College is beautiful, our ward is fabulous, and I even enjoy waking up at 5:30 in the morning to teach my cute little seminary students; is it okay if I complain for just a few moments? I promise it will be brief.

Here is a short list of items that will not be missed when I FINALLY make it out of this stage of life.
  • Bad carpeting. I don't think I've lived on remotely new carpeting (installed in the last ten years) in the last decade. Wouldn't it be nice to have carpet that actually looked vacuumed five minutes after you've zoomed over it?
  • Really bad hardware. I know it's a small thing, but is is possible to update your tenant's hardware every ten to twenty years?
  • White walls. I absolutely YEARN for the days I can live without white walls. Matt's not so keen on this one, but after growing up in the military for the first half of my life and living in apartments for the second half, I absolutely quit white. Let's hope when finally given the chance to choose my own color, I don't go to crazy and try fuchsia.
  • Sharing walls. While this apartment has been lots quieter than others in the past, I still look forward to the day I can run appliances at all hours, turn my TV all the way up, jump up and down with crazy abandon, all the while not feeling guilty that someone may be annoyed by my unnecessary noises.
  • Community parking. One of my only ambitions in life is to graduate into a garage. (Sigh) Someday.
  • Limited Storage. And having to use that limited storage for lame things like boxes, because I know I'll be using them in another year or so anyway, so why get rid of them? So while boxes reside in storage, our real storage items, like boxes of Christmas decorations, and boxes of memorabilia hang out in our spare bedroom/ alternative storage.

Okay, I realize these are silly things, and there are far more important things in life to lament, but for now I'll stick to these.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I feel ya. Renting sucks.