Saturday, April 2, 2011

Newest Projects

I've had a couple of projects mostly done for the longest time but not entirely finished. As such, I've finally gotten around to completing them. Like the flannel rag quilt pictured above.

Now this pictured quilt is a special story. My maternal grandmother, God rest her soul, had a goal to make a quilt for each of her MANY granddaughters when they got married. Well, I took my own sweet time getting there and she was getting older, so on a visit to my parent's house with my aunts she decided it was time, married or not to make my quilt. The group of women went to the fabric store to buy the material. My grandmother picked out some material my mother knew I would hate (I am sorry to say that I am indeed a picky sort) so my mother convinced her to let her buy the above fabric instead. At home, my aunts cut out the material and appliqued the flowers. I think their enthusiasm for the project waned at that point because that's as far as it got.

Months later my mother gave me the supplies and told me if I wanted my grandmother quilt I would need to finish it. I complained that it didn't seem fair somehow, that my grandmother quilt was purchased by my mother, cut out by my aunts and finished by me, but she was firm. If she finished it, she said, she was going to keep it. Keep MY grandmother quilt, for shame. So I took the fabric and put in a pile for years. At some point I finished the top and even put the layers together and pinned it, but there again it layed in a pile for another few years.

Finally a few days ago, I got around to quilting, tieing it and binding it. It's not my favorite quilt as we all know how I'm fairly partial to stars (see first pictured quilt and really any other quilt I've posted), but it is sweet and maybe one day my own daughter will take a fancy to it.

Two projects down, now I have just one more. We'll see how long it takes me to get around to that one.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Well, congrats on finishing!!! Who knows how many unfinished projects I have?

ME said...

Got to say I'm loving on those quilts.