Monday, April 11, 2011

Speeding

The older I get the slower I drive. When I lived in Boston I drove at reckless speeds because that's what everyone else drove. I was just keeping up with traffic. I actually thought I was doing traffic a favor by not clogging up the lanes. Now, that I am oh so wise at 31, however, I still speed but I check myself at about 5 over. I don't care that people are ten feet from my bumper or that there is a pile up behind me on our one lane roads out here. The speed limit is 35, that means I don't go 55, it means I go 40. In the past I have felt almost self righteous in my "safe speeding" mentality. I always figured God didn't care about such trivialities. Yes, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not commit adultery, check, check, and check. But what about some of the lesser laws. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I also "believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law" (12th article of faith). So does that mean that my breaking a law at 40 (even though I know I'm not going to be stopped by any cop) is the same as breaking the law at 55 (most cops should stop me at this point)? On my way home from seminary I had this awful dilemma. If I believe Christ suffered for my sins, is he suffering for my little speeding habits too? Do I unconsciously cause Him more pain every time I put my pedal to the metal? I'm in a very real moral quandary here so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, whether you are a member of my faith or not. Thanks for your help.

3 comments:

Michael Asay said...

Why do you drive faster than the speed limit? If you hit me while I was running/biking, would it matter to you if you were going 35 or 40? Regardless, Jesus is done suffering for you, methinks.

Emily said...

I have no idea. Just remember to love Jesus.:)

Deanna said...

ya know - i had the same thought a while back... and weather i am adding to His suffering every time I decide to go over the speed limit or not... I just can't seem to make myself do so - knowing it's a possibility... There are so many bigger faults in my behavior that are so much harder to control (aka PATIENCE!!!!) that it seems so easy to just go the speed limit and leave 5 minutes earlier....