Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ode to Motherhood



My darling sister, Melissa, won Oregon's Young Mother of the Year for 2011. Now while she claims she only won because no one else entered, she is a wonderful mother, maybe even a perfect mother!! She has 5 wonderful children (with one - hopefully a girl - on the way). And while she might have started with good raw material, she has worked very hard to make them great (though picky eaters - sometimes even the best mothers can't have completely perfect children). She has excelled at making a comfortable home for seven on her husband's teacher salary. I am so eternally grateful to know her and claim her as my sister for all eternity.

Here she is in the Sherwood parade, driven by my father who is completely enjoying himself. Her children and her husband also participated by carrying the American Mothers banner and walking/dancing down the parade route.

This is how Melissa finds joy in being a mother.

Giggling reverberating around the home, warm sweet hugs and kisses goodbye, enjoyable discussions around the dinner table are the things that make family life so rewarding.

Many find marriage and children a great deal of work. Families are a large amount of work but they also bring the greatest love, happiness and fulfillment. I find joy in the laughter of my children at play, especially with one another. Happiness and peace envelope me as I stop and observe my children read a book to their younger sibling, working together, and playing together. Rocking a baby to sleep or hearing the precious voices of children as they sing me songs before bed are also treasured moments. These simple yet sacred encounters make motherhood so sweet.

I love the security, warmth, and love I feel from my children and my husband. I love their friendship and companionship especially that of a loving and caring husband. Working together to create a loving home environment and helping with family members concerns creates unity and brings purpose that fortifies me in my life. Seeing faces that light up when they see you and feeling their love makes motherhood so treasured.

Watching them grow and sharing in their excitement at their new accomplishments also makes motherhood so fulfilling. It is wonderful to share in the excitement as a child learns to clap, walk, read and ride a bike. It is amazing to watch their confidence grow as they learn an instrument or score a goal. It is so marvelous to share in their joys as they discover for themselves that God really does answer prayers.

So while my home can be a little noisy and crazy. I know that there is no greater work and no place I would rather be than at home mothering my children.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats to Melissa!! I saw a sign up in Dallas congratulating her! And yes, she is amazing. My parents love her and I think she is a great one as well. Thank you for sharing!!

Deanna said...

LOL - why is this the first I am hearing of this!!! She's my sister in law! :) I am so grateful to have her wonderful example of motherhood and glad to be pregnant with her once again :P

Dad said...

Blogs like this and so many of your other blogs bring tears of joy to the eyes of this father. Parenthood is SO worthwhile, especially with children and children-in-law like the Lord has blessed us with. I could not be more grateful.