Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tender Mercies in IVF

The Lord loves me.  I am filled to overflowing for the miracles and mercies I've experienced in these last few days.

As I have mentioned previously, I am in the midst of my first IVF cycle.  I have been staying in a hotel in the D.C. area while Matthew starts his second and final year of Business School.  At the beginning of the summer, I had a few fellow IVFers tell me how emotional this journey was going to be, but I felt ready and eager to take on the challenge.  This week, I think I came to understand what they meant.  My body was responding to the medication, but not as quickly as I had hoped, I couldn't seem to get any answers or words of encouragement from my DR or the countless other nurses I saw, and I desperately missed my husband.  Even though my mother came up to stay with me for a few days, I still felt myself being pulled down into darkness.  It didn't help that after spending a whole lot of money on this process, I had to fork out an additional $1,400 on even more medication because I was already starting to run low. 

Friday morning, I went to my DR's appointment hopeful to actually see my DR and hear her thoughts on how my body was doing.  She was a dream, encouraging me and even swearing at me to get her point across that while I was slow, my body was working *@!$ beautifully.  She then asked if I had enough drugs to see me through to the middle of next week.  I said I had recently purchased more but still wasn't sure it was going to be enough.  She told me to sit tight and she would see what she could find (when women don't use all their drugs, they often donate them back to the clinic to be used by women like me who don't have insurance coverage).  After she left I said a quick prayer pleading for a miracle.  When my DR came back her arms were loaded with more than enough drugs to cover me.  I wanted to cry.

She then gave me the best news of the whole week.  She didn't need to see me on Saturday and with Huricane Irene threatening the Eastern Seaboard she said that should my hormone be at a reasonable level, she could hold off on seeing me again on Monday morning.  That means almost three whole days free - plenty of time to drive the 3+ hours home to see my husband for the weekend!!!!  I was awash in love and gratitude.  My mother is wonderful and everything a mother should be during such a stressful time, but really, I just wanted my husband.  I have never been so grateful for a hurricane in my life.  So I packed up my stuff, bid my mother adieu and set off to spend a blissful weekend with the love of my life.  I'll have to go back tomorrow morning super early to spend a few more days in D.C., but it was worth every second on the road and every dollar for gas to be HOME.

3 comments:

ME said...

I'm happy you were able to find the extra free drugs. Too bad you didn't have them before you shelled out the additional $1400. I'm also glad you could spend some time with your husband. What a great blessing a hurricane can be. ;)

Merillee said...

We love you so much Sara! You're doing great!

Claudia said...

I've been thinking about you the last few days, not really sure when you were beginning the IVF process, so I am glad to hear an update. I have no idea what it is like, but I am so glad you have the family support and those small miracles in your life right now. Sending my love!