Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Service Opportunities

So I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, right? And as a woman over the age of 18, that means I belong to the Relief Society, okay? With that established; as a member of the RS, there are certain service opportunities one is asked to accept from time to time. Generally they can be grouped into four categories, visiting someone, cooking a meal for someone, babysitting small children, or cleaning something.
When all is said and done, I can be called on to do any and/or all of these, but is it okay if I prefer one type over the other? What if one type kind of scares me and another just sounds completely unappealing? Does that make me a bad person?

So I am conducting a very informal poll. I'm not asking that you reassure me that I really am a good person after all. What I'm asking for is for my readers to fess up to their preferred method of service. I'll be the first one. I don't mind cleaning, but my preferred service opportunity at this point in my life is visiting someone. I enjoy meeting and getting to know new people. And with all this extra time I have these days, it just isn't a big deal, but I'm terrified of bringing a meal and have never truly enjoyed babysitting.

Okay I've told you mine, now fess up to yours. What I'm hoping for is that just like with everything else in life, there is a balance, and if everyone does their part, maybe all the needs will be met? That maybe it's okay that I prefer not to sign up for bringing a meal to someone because someone else would prefer to do it, and let's face it, would probably do a better job? Is this an okay fantasy? You tell me.

5 comments:

nichole said...

I HATE cooking for other people yet for two+ years I asked several people to bring in several meals to those in our ward that were in need. Tell me what you want me to cook and I can do it but don't make me choose cause it will most likely be build your own taco's.

With that calling I did come to the realization of how important a meal is to someone that is going through a crisis because often they don't take the time to cook things and often don't take the time to eat, if it wasn't there.

I like to clean that way I can come in, do what has been asked of me and leave. I that heartless? Actually it is always fun to visit with people you normally don't. I like that too.

Camden and Amber said...

Ooh! Me! Pick me! I'd easily go for preparing a meal before everything else. I like to make something special with sides and dessert. It feels like giving a gift, and there's lots of room for thoughtfulness and creativity. I guess it feels more like genuine service than "I'll clean this".

I'm so glad there are Saras out there who have other preferences!

Christy said...

I usually really don't like cleaning. Bringing meals is no problem. And I don't mind babysitting as long as the kids are nice. I actually am babysitting at this very moment while my dear friend has a c-section. And I am bringing them some freezer meals on saturday. But clean a house? No thanks.
So it isn't just you. Luckily we offset each other.

Ariana said...

Oh man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. haha I'd cook meals for people 100 times without complaint, but I have a really hard time visiting or watching kids. I am a major introvert, and I am pretty shy. Cleaning is easier, because it's less social.

Deanna said...

My first choice is preparing meals - second choice is babysitting (lol - with 5 already, I hardly notice a couple more here or there.) I'd rather not clean - I feel kinda uncomfortable doing it - mostly because I feel uncomfortable having others do my cleaning - it makes me feel like I need to be cleaning too - I can't just sit there and watch others clean - no matter how tired I am. I enjoy visiting too - but I hate making phone calls - is that weird... I think that the Lord knows our strengths and weaknesses and allows for them. He expects us to serve him the best we can - and since we each have different talents, it works well. :)