Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Strawberry Patch

Years ago when I was single and checking friends' blogs I couldn't help thinking that all they did was go fruit picking with their beautiful children perfectly posed in idyllic settings. Today I had my first dose of fruit picking. Yeah, Wee Boy wouldn't pose and it was less than idyllic, but it was memorable all the same.

I met up with some friends this morning to pick strawberries at a local Mennonite farm. The farm and the weather were totally idyllic. I got there a little early and started picking with Wee Boy sitting on the ground beside me. At first he started crying when I would walk away to forage for berries, but soon he stopped and I kept picking. When I finally looked over to see how he was faring, I saw his face, hands and knees dripping with strawberry juice. From then on it was a cycle of him eating red, green, or mushy strawberries (completely whole mind you) I would take them away and he would start crying. Every now and again he would amuse himself with simply playing in the dirt or sitting in his stroller. During those times I would pick as fast as I could. Then another cycle of eating and crying would start all over again. My other two friends had similarly less than idyllic experiences with their own children and I thought, this is what my friends' blogs don't share - children eating what they shouldn't, picking the bad fruit, and being less than admirable little child laborers. It was really fairly amusing when all was said and done and I'll probably go back, but maybe not next summer when I'll have another almost 1-year old to contend with.


 But at least I got all sorts of beautiful strawberry freezer jam out of the experience.

6 comments:

April said...

Awesome! Good for you. We took Hana out but she was about 2. Its always fun to here what your family is up to.

Nichole said...

I want to see a pic of prego you out picking strawberries. You go girl!

Michael Asay said...

Thanks for an honest look at life with children--most of those mommy mormon blogs you mention fudge the facts and distort reality.

ME said...

I don't know what you're talking about? My children have always done exactly what I said when picking berries and it's been all idyllic. Notice the HUGE amount of sarcasm. But it's always memorable.

Unknown said...

"child laborers" lol I was just reading about u-pick strawberries at Way Fruit Farm and about how to make freezer jam an hour a go...maybe I'll leave the kids home!

Deanna said...

LOL - it certainly works better with older children who know how to pick the red ones and will sometime listen when you tell them to only eat a few - when we went to pick peaches, we were glad that they let us eat all we wanted while we were picking! But our kids were mostly older and our youngest was content in the stroller, so we had a nice time - the worst part for us was the Texas heat - since then we have just ordered fruit from Bithell Farms :)