Sunday, November 16, 2014

Stake Conference - Toddler style

First off, let me just say that Stake Conference is like going to church but instead of coercing my child into a seat for an hour until he/she can play, it is two. My children can be wrangled for an hour but after that it starts getting a bit dicey. As such I doubled my church bag and armed myself with snacks, my tablet, basically anything they wouldn't normally get in church but I'm desperate, so I cave. All in all it went pretty well. Either child only needed to be taken out for ten or fifteen minutes max. We did lose all the contents of a milk cup, that was sad on multiple levels. And I think a crayon may have gone astray as well. Not too terribly bad when all is said and done, and yet I still left feeling a little shell-shocked. I didn't leave feeling spiritually enriched so much as relieved I had survived two hours in a confined space with two active toddlers. I love my babies. Really I do, but I'm hoping that stake conference, and church to some extent, will soon stop feeling like a three-ring circus and eventually transition back to a beacon of peace and fellowship. Until then, at least they're cute those babes of mine and they know where my priorities lie. Somehow it does make it all easier.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Sigh - I still have Sunday's where I wonder the same thing! But then once in a while, my youngest actually just snuggles quietly in my lap for most of a talk or for enough of a testimony and I am able to catch enough of a message and enough of the spirit to be very grateful to have been there and that will lift me for the week to come. Stake Conference can be painful - but singing with the Stake Choir is a wonderful option ;) (course Dan doesn't sing, so I always get to go sing and leave him with the kids for a bit at least!)

Claudia said...

Adam and I were just talking about this - Sacrament meeting (and even worse, Stake Conference) is the WORST designed meeting for families with small children. At least we know we will get to enjoy it someday...