Thursday, November 20, 2014

TBT Diary post - 1/18/91

Does anyone keep a journal. I am not a super consistent journal writer, but I have had a diary (though journal sounds more grown up) since I was 11. Going back and reading it has made me cringe. . . a lot, laugh, marvel that anyone makes it through puberty sane, and grateful that I never have to live those years again - except maybe through my kids which just might prove worse. Thankfully I have quite a few years before puberty hits my house so for now I get to reminisce.

A little context, I am 11 years old and in the sixth grade at Mokapu Elementary School on Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station (KMCAS) in Hawaii.

Diary, O.k. First of all, last week I dumped Shawn G. (I think we "went out" for a week or two which consisted of nothing other than telling our friends that we were "going out") Then Stephanie asked if we were going together and [he] was all like I'm glad we broke up and started acting tough and then today Tony C. his friend had to call me and ask me if I wanted to go to Shawn's party. How dumb. I don't understand boys at all. Oh well I'm still little. I've got a lot to learn. (Oh little one, you have no idea.) Mom bought some movies. Right now we have about 50 movies. Most are Betas. Today was so boring. Amber wasn't home. Cara was busy all day and Megan was being a pain so I couldn't play with her. Well gotta go.
Bye, Love Sara
P.S. I love my life but I'm confused.

A couple thoughts. 1. These two friends, Amber and Cara, play a major role in my diary during my 6th grade year. Apparently we fought A LOT. There is even an entry where I lament that I am too weak-willed to stay mad at these friends for the forever that I mean at the time. 2. Megan (my sister) is also a big component of my entries. We are a year and a week apart in age and were childhood best friends and worst enemies. Somehow though poor sister generally only gets maligned in my diary. 4. I love how innocent of an 11-year old I was. Are children this age still so innocent? I sure hope so, though I fear many aren't. How very sad. 3. I miss Beta movies and I love how proud I seemed to be of our budding collection.

Okay that's it. Nothing profound, just a funny little diary entry about my little life as a child.

1 comment:

Michael Asay said...

Journals from our youth are the best! They show how much we have changed (or not changed). Meg doesn't have any journals from this same year you posted, but her other writings are golden.