Sunday, July 17, 2016

Our Summer Vacation - The Plane Ride


The kids have been looking forward to our summer vacation for months, counting down the days. I tempted fate by taking a red-eye flight from Portland to Myrtle Beach. The trip started off well enough. We got on our way with Cheeks holding onto her trip backpack for dear life. I told them they were in charge of their backpacks and for the most part they took their duties very seriously.

We left late enough at night that the kids fell asleep fairly quickly. Too bad I didn't bring a blanket with me so they had to make due with my light cardigan. But having gone to bed after 10 and it only being a 4 hour flight, my babies were beyond exhausted once we got to Charlotte for our layover. As we walked from one gate to the other, poor Cheeks kept pitifully begging me to put her to bed. We got on our next flight and they were asleep before we even left the gate.

Once we got to Myrtle Beach, it was Boy Howdy's turn to melt down. He yelled and cried from the time we were deplaning to the time Matthew dragged him to the car. He was angry the beach wasn't in the airport (we were at Myrtle Beach after all) and that there would be no beach time that day. He ended up sleeping through the majority of church and went to bed with zero fuss.
Poor babies. I sure hope I never have to do another red-eye flight for their sakes.

No comments: