Tuesday, December 13, 2016

My favorite story of Christ


As part of Mormon.org's Christmas initiative to #LIGHTtheWORLD, I have been challenged to share my favorite story of Jesus Christ.

About a month or so ago, the kids and I started a new breakfast tradition of looking at the Gospel Art Book and telling the story of a couple of the pictures. I have loved the Spirit it has brought to our table as we talk through what's going on in the pictures. And I have loved how the children have gravitated to the pictures of Jesus. Telling this story always gets me emotional. To briefly recap:
The apostles and Christ are in a boat crossing the sea and a storm arises. The waves are crashing into the boat and they fear for their lives. Terrified they wake Jesus, who has fallen asleep and ask that He save them. With one word, Christ calms the storm, "Peace." The apostles are amazed that the winds and waves obey this man.
I am always touched at the implication this story has in my own life. Christ calms the storms. Sometimes the storms around us and sometimes the storms in our hearts, but He has the power to bring peace if we ask. I have found that I often have the continue to ask, fine-tuning my plea, but sure enough the peace comes.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John14:27

No comments: