Sunday, February 19, 2017

Staycation

For Christmas my sweet, darling sister gave Matthew and I two weeks babysitting. We picked our Metaversary as a good time to use up some of our gift. Our initial thought was to rent a room on the coast' but then we remembered that we are trying to pay off our remaining student loans this year. All of a sudden, it didn't seem fiscally prudent to spend $1000 on a weekend away. But then Melissa reminded us that we didn't need to go anywhere to have a vacation. Huh - novel concept.

She picked them Friday afternoon and we will pick them up tomorrow at lunch time. We are an odd couple so we haven't been as crazy occupied as others might be, but we have gone to the temple, eaten out, seen a movie and shopped. We've also slept, not put children to bed, and enjoyed partaking of the Sacrament without monitoring a 3-year old's touching every single piece of bread or taking 20 seconds to drink a small cup of water. It has been heaven.

But here's the thing. Spending a weekend away is totally different than spending a weekend at home sans children. I have loved spending time with just my husband, and am beyond grateful to my sister and her sweet family for this opportunity. But hanging out just the two of us, makes me remember what it was like before we had children and, honestly, I like our lives better now. I love our children and while they may not be ready for me to take them away from their cousins, I am excited to pick them up tomorrow and have my babies back with me. What a wonderful weekend! I am ready to be a mama again!!

No comments: