Monday, May 29, 2017

Boy Howdy Turns 5

Oh, how this boy has my heart. He is an intense little boy. If he sets expectations that are then not met, he has the hardest of times recovering from his disappointment. But, when he is happy, he is pure exuberance. His thoughtfulness often amazes me, especially to those whom he loves dearly. He is so smart, is constantly thinking about life and how things work, and is so very curious. He LOVES to be silly, to cuddle and be just like his dad. I love this little boy so much! What joy and life lessons he gives me daily.


Boy Howdy has been planning his birthday since sometime last fall, maybe even before that. He started compiling his Amazon wishlist and looking on Pinterest for what kind of cake he wanted. At first it was chocolate. But then, after Matthew went off chocolate, he decided to change his choice to something in favor of his daddy. 

After several choices, he finally landed on strawberry lemonade cupcakes! Hooray pinterest for inspiring my child to pick something I had absolutely no hesitation making. He was also super particular about how he wanted his candy arranged. Funny boy.

I should say, that true to a child's natural inclination, he and his sister opted to eat only the candy and strawberry frosting, leaving the lemon cupcake (with lemon curd filling) to sit lonely in its wrapper. What tragedy.



On the day of his birthday (Memorial Day) we had hoped to go to our ward's barbecue and then out for a hike. Sadly, a bad cold got the better of all of us, so we tried to make the most of the day at home. Boy Howdy got a joke book, some super hero capes and masks, remote controlled bumper cars, the game Guess Who and a lego set and fold out fire truck car set thingy from either set of grandparents. Since we really couldn't go anywhere we did the best we could with playing with all his new toys, watching the LEGO Batman movie and indulging his every whim for the day. I think he had fun.

The next day, we took two of his friends to a local bounce house place. I brought cupcakes for everyone, and just as Boy Howdy and Cheeks had done the day before, every single child only wanted the top portion of their cupcake. Sigh.


I keep telling him to stop growing, but he refuses. Now that he's five, I'm afraid he is just too big to stay home with me every day. He is just going to have to go to kindergarten since he won't comply with my stay-little request. Oh cute boy. How I adore your little spirit.

No comments: