Friday, August 18, 2017

Anniversary Trip

Matthew has to travel to Michigan for work every other month for a week. This year, his trip coincided with our 11-year anniversary. But this time he needed to stay for 10 days. My darling sister, Melissa, gave us 2-weeks of babysitting for Christmas and she and her family were kind enough to let us exercise our present so I could join him for 6 of his 10. 

First off, the babes were OVERJOYED to spend (as they called it) a couple weeks at Aunt Melissa's house. I tried repeatedly to explain that a couple weeks is 14 days and they would only be there for 6, but nothing would deter them or their enthusiasm.

Secondly, Matthew was working during the day giving me some much needed alone time to exercise or sleep or shower or wander around the city. I LOVED my alone time. But I also loved my time with my husband. We celebrated 11 blissful years together, we went to the movies in the middle of the day (never before have I seen a movie in such comfy conditions - they may have made me sleepy!), we spent a day tooling around lake shore towns, we visited my dear college friend, enjoyed time just the two of us, and ate lots of yummy food. 




Thirdly, I left early Wednesday morning, and by Sunday night I was still not missing my babies. I was thinking, I could do this alone thing all the time. Why do I have to go home? The next day I got on a flight still not sure I was ready to be a mom yet. My sweet niece Emmalee kindly brought my children home and put them to bed so I wouldn't have to go pick them up. When they ran into my room the next morning I was overcome with excitement to see them. I DO want to be a mom. I AM grateful to spend my days with them. And coming home, I was a kinder, happier mother.

A few days later, Matthew joined us and Friday we went to the pool as a family. They were so excited to go to the pool, but to have their dad with them too was just beyond joy for them. I love my little family, and I am so grateful to my sister and her family that made me remember just how much.

No comments: