Friday, November 17, 2017

Is this a Treat?

Reposted from Matthew's blog - adailysliceofawesome.blogspot.com

My daughter is extremely cautious regarding what she will do with her one allotted treat per finished meal. When we do pizza, we usually get a free two-liter soda with it. Each time we do, she asks before she imbibes: "Is this a treat?" If you say yes, she won't drink it--her notion of value places it lower than a piece of candy. If you say no, she happily guzzles the soda.

Last night, my wife made orange rolls. They are delicious. However, in my eager desire to dispense with dishwashing for the night, I washed the mixing bowl that I mistakenly thought had extra left-over dough in it when it fact, it was the icing for them. They still taste goood, they just don't have the additional icing. So, my daughter finishes her dinner and wants an orange roll. That's perfectly fine.

She asks: "Is this a treat?" I answer: "Yes."
She thinks, and then nods, alright. She goes over to the cooling racks upon which the rolls are resting and picks which one she wants. Then she notices something is amiss.

"Where is the good stuff?"

"What good stuff?" I answer.

"The good stuff that makes it taste good. The icing?"

"I don't know," I reply, with a sinking feeling in my stomach that I put the icing down the sink by mistake.

"Then I don't want it," she puts the roll back. Not worth it. Delicious orange roll + icing = treat. Delicious orange roll - icing = not worth it. I'd rather have a measly small piece of Halloween candy.

It's amusing and a little awesome watching her value different treats.

No comments: