Thursday, May 10, 2018

Tender Mercies

I am often amazed at how Heavenly Father wants to bless us, even with the mundane things in our lives, just to let us know that He is intimately aware of us and wants us to know we are loved.

Today I had two wonderful examples of just that.

After listening to all the lovely gifts my darling friends were getting for their mothers and children's teachers I began to feel woefully inadequate. I do try to show love in other ways, but gifts are just not my forte.

Anyway, feeling kind of low, I dropped Cheeks off at preschool and had a couple of hours to get errands accomplished. I was on my way to Lowes to buy trim for the bookcases we are installing, and I felt the Spirit direct me to stop and get my oil changed. It was more than due, but I just didn't want to - it seems they always find something extra that needs done, taking at least an hour. But I felt the Holy Ghost's insistence so I pulled over and stopped.

I was the only one there and did have another errand I could do while they were busy with my car. I dropped my package at the post office, and while walking back to the service station I remembered the basil I needed for dinner that night. Check. After that was accomplished I remembered my annual mother's day pedicure appointment I needed to schedule. Check. Four errands accomplished in one. And even better, I probably wouldn't have remembered the last two had I not walked by their stores. Finally, the oil change was completed by the time I returned (18 minutes after arriving). I still had PLENTY of time to get to Lowes, drop off some diapers for a friend who just had a baby and have some quiet time at home before picking up Cheeks from preschool. I keenly felt my Heavenly Father's love watching out for his struggling daughter.

Later this afternoon, Matthew and I were working on putting together the children's climbing dome Christmas present. It was taking a lot of time from both of us so Matthew suggested getting BBQ take out instead of cooking dinner. I left to get the food forgetting my wallet at home. I didn't realize my error until I drove the 10 minutes to the restaurant. Not wanting to take another 20 minutes just to get my wallet, I went in hoping to order before going home for the money.

When I got inside I saw a member of our ward and his daughter. Bless his kind heart, he agreed to pay for my dinner with my promise that I would pay him back later that night (which I promptly did). What a heaven-sent tender mercy. The aforementioned BBQ place is amazing, but not very quick to deliver on their orders. I still didn't arrive home until 45 minutes after I left, but because of this man's kindness and Heavenly Father's love it was 45 minutes an not over an hour.

It's the little things. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who watches out for his children and I'm thankful my heart was open to witness the tender mercies He so beautifully bestowed on me today.

P.S. The climbing dome is a success!

No comments: