Sunday, June 7, 2015

We are a Family Once More


While living with my parents for a few weeks, one truth about myself became painfully obvious - I
would make an awful single mother. So imagine my joy when we flew into Portland and my darling Matthew was at the airport to once again be my rock, my joy and my helpmeet in parenting. That weekend we decided to celebrate being back together with a few days in a beach condo. We were terribly, horribly unprepared for the coast's weather with our light jackets and shorts, but that's the amazing thing about small children. It can be cold and the water can be FREEZING but they just don't seem to care. They had fun running in and out of the water, being at the beach for the very first time in their short little lives and digging in the sand. Boy Howdy, sad that he had become wet from being in the water, quickly tired of being at the beach. Cheeks, on the other hand, was happy to explore, get wet and dirty and cold for sometime after until I finally dragged her away for dinner and bedtime. Ah Neskowin. Possibly the coldest beach on the entire Western coast (seriously it was 90 an hour inland, 70 and sunny twenty minutes south at another beach, but 55 and overcast in Neskowin) but you gave my children an uncrowded, beautiful, serene place to play for a couple of days. And for that we most heartily thank you.



 

I should mention that Boy Howdy cried bitter tears that first night when he learned we would be spending the night there and not at his dear cousin's house. Ah, we heart cousins. But we heart being together again even more. Sorry kid.

No comments: