Friday, April 9, 2010

Yep, this Hospital will do just Fine

I think I've mentioned that Matthew and I will be moving to State College, PA in a few months so he can attend Penn State's Business School. We made the decision, but determined it would still be a good idea to come check out the area. So we flew in a few days ago for admit weekend. Thursday night after going to bed early to make up for the lack of sleep thanks to the red-eye flight we had taken the night before, I woke up with searing pain in my lower abdomen. It felt like my body was being ripped apart. These were no ordinary "monthly" cramps. I can't say I have ever writhed in pain until that night. Matthew was absolutely wonderful when I woke him up crying. He gave me a priesthood blessing and got me to the hospital. He didn't panic, complain, or ask if this was really necessary, but stayed extremely calm and supportive.

After several hours of waiting and tests and waiting and vital signs being registered my very competent doctor came in to tell me that I have a cyst on either ovary and the pain was most likely caused by one of them rupturing. He sent me home with some pain pills along with everything I would need to show my Oregon OBGYN so she can remove them. Whew, what a relief. Not that I am super excited about having two sizable cysts, oh and a polyp to boot, in my body, but after several hours in the hospital I had started feeling remarkably better and had begun wondering whether I had made all of the pain up. It was nice to know that 1. There was in deed something the matter, 2. That it is extremely fixable, 3. It can wait until I can be at home, and 4. Penn State's hospital is well equipped with both pre-heated blankets and kind and competent staff.

3 comments:

Kjelstrom Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kjelstrom Family said...

Hi Sara! I am not sure if I've commented before...but I was in your ward at Courtside. I love following your blog. You are a great writer. I too had PAINFUL cysts and totally know the feeling of "writhing" in pain. It is JUST the worst! I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that. Hopefully you can get it all worked out and feeling better very soon! Take care!

Jen Hicks said...

I am so glad you are okay. I have heard from friends here that that is extremely painful. So glad you have Matt to take care of you. Love!