Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Halloween 2018

Happy Halloween! If you can't guess my children are dressed as a blood ghost and a butterfly queen.

In 2016, Boy Howdy was a ghost and Chewkie was a minion. 
In 2017, Boy Howdy was a blood bat and Chewkie was a butterfly. 

This year, Chewkie wanted to be a seagull but I convinced her she should use her princess dress that I bought her years ago but has always been much too big. We tried finding her butterfly wings to complete her ensemble but no love. She didn't seem to care. She even let me put a little bit of makeup on her.

Boy Howdy, like every year, had a whole list of potential costume ideas but settled on a traditional black bat. However, just before I went to buy stuff to make up his costume, he changed his mind and decided on being a blood ghost. Just like last year I offered to alter his costume to better serve his vision, and just like last year he he liked it just as it was. Oh how I love the simplicity of his costumes. I mean, don't get me wrong, Chewkie can not be considered high maintenance by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure that the award for easiest costume three years in a row goes to Boy Howdy.

But for the first time at Halloween we went with other neighborhood children. The kids were in heaven. They got to trick or treat with friends, they got to stay out well past their bedtime and they got a ridiculous amount of candy. 

My favorite part of the evening was three-quarters of the way through, and some of the kids started losing steam. We came to a group of houses with two flights of stairs just to the front door. They were decorated to the hilt and blaring the Ghostbuster's theme song. While we were waiting for the rest of our group, Boy Howdy decided to sit down on the driveway and take a little rest. Chewkie, however, started jamming to the music. It was the perfect tale of two children. After walking several miles late into the night, Chewkie was still going strong and rocking like it was 1999. Boy Howdy soon recovered and finished the night strong, but dancing was definitely out of the question. 

The kids decided that going out with friends was by far more fun than going out just the three of us. I guess we have a new tradition.

Happy Halloween!!!

No comments: