Sunday, February 14, 2021

Phillip's Funeral

 Yesterday we celebrated Phillip's life, but before I get to that . . .

We have had the most epic ice storm the last two days that brought down trees, interrupted power, cancelled Stake Conference, and wreaked havoc on travel. It has been crazy. Poor Natalie and her kids had such trouble getting here, most especially Parker who spent almost 24 hours en route by himself on his birthday. But we are here together and I pray that being together is providing needed healing for our two families. Today and really this weekend has been an exercise in being flexible, adapting, and moving to alternate plans. But everyone seems to be handling it as gracefully as possible.

The funeral was lovely. Family only with a zoom attendance. Two Air Force airmen came and presented Natalie and her kids with their own US flags in full military honors and played taps. It was incredibly emotional. Natalie and the kids then took turns speaking of their husband and father. Natalie's was long but perfect. After the formal remarks were over we adjourned to dinner where the siblings and parents got to share our favorite experiences of Phillip. There was a lot of laughing, and again, just perfect.

My childhood memories of my brother include proudly telling friends my brother was from the Philippines because his name is Phillip. (This most likely due to having a friend named Virginia who lived in Virginia blowing my 5-year old mind). I also remember him and his neon suit he would wear to church, always having candy in his pockets, and thinking he was so handsome. 

As an adult, I have loved having Phillip living locally for the last six months. I was only 9 when he moved out and we were never close. Having him be local, meant getting to appreciate him and his odd way of rolling dice, loving all things children, knowing all the words to ALL the 80's songs, serving, and loving my soft pretzels. I am grateful that he got to know my family and finally see me as an adult. 

There was one time Matthew and I needed a babysitter. I flippantly asked Phillip, and he surprised me with a yes. Later Matthew confessed he didn't feel right about leaving the kids with him. Surely he only said ok because he was put on the spot and he really didn't want to. So we found someone else. Later Phillip confessed that he felt a bit slighted. My children were initially tentative around him and his outwardly gruff exterior, but after Chewkie got her braces she said, "Uncle Phillip and I are brace buddies". They loved him even though he still sort of scared them.

Today, Stake Conference was cancelled due to the issues with power outages, so with no official church we opted to do a family testimony meeting at my house. We had a lovely meeting followed by lunch, games, and playing. I'm pretty sure the kids were in heaven playing with cousins. They had been hoping for a valentines day party and they for sure got it. I love my darling family and it was good to have the reminder this weekend, even the midst of such a tragedy. I think Phillip would have wanted that for all of us.

No comments: