Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Current List of Items Made

Just in case anyone is curious, here's what I've made so far for Wee Babe. I still need to make his baby blanket and receiving blanket, but I still have a few months yet to do that.  It will get done someday soon, hopefully. I kind of go through bursts.
So far, I've made myself:

  • Baby sling (upper left)
  • Nursing cover (upper right)
  • Changing pad and wet bag (plaid stuff in the middle)
  • Hipster baby wipe case (the black and pink item)
  • Peepee Teepees (you know, for changing a baby that suddenly decides he's not done with his business)
  • Assorted burp clothes.  I know that everyone talks about how cloth diapers work the best, but since I had an old towel and flannel and not cloth diapers laying around, I made them this way instead.
So that's what I've been up to lately. Making baby blankets for my pregnant sister (though no longer now that nephew Adam is born) and two sister-in-laws, and making this fun stuff for me.  It seems I'm always most proud of whatever my latest project is, so right now it's the baby sling.  I think it's pretty cute, and not remotely boyish, but hey, I need some pretty things too for me. 

By the way, a huge thanks for everyone who's been brave enough to leave comments on the baby items that work best for them. Both my older sister and I are extremely grateful for the combined wisdom of more experienced mothers.  While everyone has different opinions, it's proven very useful to get them nonetheless to make my own now much more informed decision. Thank you tons and tons.  And just so you know, I am gladly taking any additional helpful opinions you might still want to send along. Thanks again.

2 comments:

*julie* said...

Wow! You've got an awesome collection of stuff - and I bet there's a few friends out there that are bummed they can't make you those things now ;)
What an incredible response to your solicitation for comments - wish I would have had those ideas!
So my only 2 cents to add is in regards to a diaper bag. I had 2 different free black ones that I used for my boys and I discovered that the bigger the bag the more stuff that gets crammed into it, by me, my kids, and my husband. It's like, "Hey, you've got a big bag, add this!" But sometimes you do need a big bag for carrying around a nursing cover, diapers, and a change of clothes. If you're babe has any blowouts like mine do (and does) on a regular basis, you can thank me later ;)
But back to the diaper bag...I decided that I wanted a bag that could pass a purse this time around. So I made one from this pattern:
http://www.favoritethings.net/favorite/patterns/handbags/mama_mia
I got the pattern ordered for me at a local quilt shop.
You can kind of see my version in the background of this picture of Zack on my blog:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-0xkM9mnrITU/TxpaAOxeq8I/AAAAAAAABMs/e10vrac7VsA/s1600-h/DSCN3693%25255B5%25255D.jpg
I've never made a bag before so I was a little nervous, but it went better than I expected and I had fun doing it. I even did it AFTER my baby was born, when she napped all day. So far I'm really liking it, mostly because I made it and I, like you, can be pretty excited about stuff I make myself.
Hope this is helpful!
You were looking for more stuff to do, weren't you?!

Deanna said...

LOL - julie - i am one of those people who is now looking for something else to make her.... since she took a lot of the good easy to make ideas.... LOL - one more thing I suggest carrying around in your diaper bag (if you get one) are some plastic bags :) It's nice if you can't get to a trash can to be able to seal up a stinky diaper, and it's nice to be able to have something to contain pooped in or peed on clothes. :)