Tuesday, September 11, 2018

First Day of School - 2018

Boy Howdy LOVED the lazy days of summer. Especially the end days when we would cuddle in bed and watch shows until it was time to get up and have breakfast before the kids went outside to play with their neighbor friends for most of the rest of the day. So I'm not sure he was super excited to start the new school year at a new school where he would need to make new friends. The only silver lining was being able to finally wear one of the school shirts I bought for him, a #2 pencil that laments not being #1. He let me walk him into school and we both put on a brave face when I had to say goodbye, though I confess I was not ready. Not like I thought I would be. It was hard this year to say goodbye to that sweet face. And what made it harder was that for the first few days of school, it was difficult for him having to start while his sister got to be at home until the following week. Poor boy. I know it will get easier for him bless his little heart.

This little girl on the other hand was ALL about starting Kindergarten. I remember Boy Howdy having the same enthusiasm last year. School, the routine, the bus, the school's hot lunch is so exciting when it's still novel. What helps too is that this little girl went to school already knowing several handfuls of kids, one of her best friends is in her class. She laments on Saturdays that she doesn't get to go to school. 

I broke her heart the first morning because I insisted that she let me drive her to school instead of riding the bus. Dang it, she was not going to take this mother moment away from me! Within moments of getting out of the car, in front of the school, I saw a precious 4-leaf clover and I knew it was a tender reminder from a loving Heavenly Father that He loved me and my little family and was aware of all of us. After I dropped off both my babes, I got into my car and sobbed. Not necessarily because of the new phase of life I'm in, because honestly somedays I feel guilty with how little I miss them while they are gone, but because of my tangible reminder that Heavenly Father is watching out for us and wants this to be a great year for everyone.

So there it is. Did I cry when I dropped my kids off at school? Yes! Do I miss them while they are at school? No! Am I so excited to see their adorable faces and smiles when they get off the bus? You betcha!!!

No comments: