Sunday, December 30, 2018

I Followed the Prophet

Years ago one August, President Monson, or maybe it was President Hinckley asked the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year. I was somewhere in the middle and rationalized that as long as I finished by New Year's I had done as I had been asked. I often regretted it that I hadn't started over as so many of my peers had.

Fast forward to this past October at General Conference when our Prophet, President Nelson, asked the females of the church age 8 and up to read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year. I once again, tried to rationalize not starting over but was told and knew in my heart that I would be flaking on the opportunity as I had years earlier.

I'm so glad I didn't flake. Along with the counsel to read the Book of Mormon was an instruction to highlight all the verses that mention Christ's name, in all its forms. Tonight I finished. And although I have LOVED the Book of Mormon for MANY years, I gained a renewed appreciation for it's statement that it truly is Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

Interwoven through beautiful and heart-rending stories of faith, rebellion and redemption emerges Jesus Christ as the central character of the entire book. He is Rock upon which the stories, the lessons, the prophecies, and the doctrine are founded.

I have a friend, a member of another Christian denomination who firmly believes that members of my Church aren't Christian, or if we are we don't worship her Christ. This makes me more sad than I can say. But as the famous quote that often gets attached to Mother Theresa says, in the end it is between me and God, it was never about them anyway.

So despite my friend's objections, I will continue to talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, preach of Christ, that my children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins (2 Nephi 25:26).

I know my Savior lives. I know that He is intimately aware of me and is actively working through all means at His disposal to show me His love so that I will be better able to reflect that love to others. So often I don't recognize His efforts and I get down on myself, or His plan for my life. But when I stop to look, even on really hard days, His tender mercies are all around me. I am beyond grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the clarification of that gospel that comes through the Book of Mormon and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I feel as Peter did when Christ asked if the twelve would abandon Him.

67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

I love my Savior and I am thankful for the opportunity to grow closer to Him through the Book of Mormon.

No comments: