Friday, July 23, 2021

Family Reunion - Adventure Park Day

 Yesterday, we went rafting which was so much fun even though I have never loved getting splashed, especially when the water is just above freezing. No thanks, it was not hot enough for that. Dude and Luca were curious about this new adventure but definitely very nervous about going into the desert. I tried reassuring them that I wasn't just telling them "it's going to be fun" to get them to come, but that I really and truly thought they were going to LOVE it. It didn't help that it was about an hour drive and A LOT of waiting around to get started. But sure enough they loved it. Even when they claimed to be terrified of the rapids I know they were having the time of their lives. 

Also yesterday, we ended up seeing my sweet young women on the river. They were there for High Adventure. Not quite sure why I didn't put two and two together. It took me longer than it should to recognize them but what a fun surprise.

Today, we went to the Mount Hood Adventure Park. They had alpine slides, batting cages, zipline, rock climbing . . . We stayed basically until they kicked us out. So much fun.

Luca didn't particularly like me behind her on the slides. She wanted to go at her own pace and not be "yelled at" to go faster. Dude and I were meant for a little more speed.


Just going up on the ski lift was great. At one point we figured out that you didn't have to get off to go down the slide if you didn't want to, you could just ride the lift ALL the way to the top and back if you wanted. Luca and I did that and then her dad went back down the slide with her because he promised not to yell like mom did.

We also found the rock climbing wall. When we went rock climbing a few years ago at our last family reunion, Dude did pretty well and Luca barely made it off the ground. Luca started off more or less like last time but then she refused to give up. She tried over and over on one side and then decided to try her luck at another side. That side proved better for her and she went up to the top at least three more times. I was so proud of her determination and her grit.

I also was proud of Matthew, he LOVED it. I think he has found himself a new hobby.

After that I let the kids pick one adventure for which we would pay extra. Dude picked the zipline with which he completely fell in love. Luca picked the tree top ropes course. We did that one together. Part of it is pretty easy. Part of it is a LOT scarier and it took a lot of coaxing and a lot of bravery to make it through. I'm not sure she would ever want to do it again, but it was a great mother-daughter bonding moment.


Halfway through the day, my oldest nephew Parker surprised us all when he arrived unexpected all the way from Virginia. We all thought he couldn't get away from Medical School but somehow he found a way and we were all so glad that he did.

No comments: