Tuesday, September 20, 2022

I got Released

I got released on Sunday. Matthew was ordained a High Priest and sustained as the second counselor in our bishopric. I was made a sunday school teacher. After 4 years of time-intensive callings I am ok that it can be Matthew's turn again, and I really do enjoy teaching and not having to go to the countless meetings; but after only a year as Young Women's President, I was surprised at the release and sad at the loss of the closeness I have built with the young women and leaders I have worked with.


Even having a week and a half notice, it was still a sad moment to stand and be released. After Sacrament meeting, our High Councilor assigned to our ward, and a personal friend came up to me and offered kind words that helped me feel seen by my Heavenly Parents.

And then tonight , as we were finishing bedtime, I got the sweetest visit from three of my darling young women I love so much. As I felt of their love for me, I also felt, again, the love of my Heavenly Parents. Their visit was the perfect closure I could have ever asked for.

All hail having a calling that requires a lot less of me, and continuing to love the young women, if maybe from slightly farther away. Good luck Matthew in your new calling.


Update on Sunday, September 25th to add: This morning as I sat down at the start of sacrament meeting, I started thinking about the growth I've experienced because of the callings I've had over the years. Growth as a person and growth in my testimony. I remembered how God told me after I was called as a seminary teacher that serving was not something I was giving to Him but a gift He had given to me. I thought about how true that statement has been in every calling I've received. I marveled at the love God shows to His children through callings and what an amazing part of the plan of salvation they are. I was also struck at how just as callings show God's love, so does our release from them. All of a sudden, I felt the love I expected to feel in the temple the day after I was told I was being released. I was overwhelmed, humble, grateful, just overall emotional. 

So two and a half weeks after that initial visit with my bishop, through the love of others and the whisperings of the Spirit, I have felt what I had wanted to feel, but probably wasn't quite ready for in the temple that Thursday. I am grateful for that tutoring moment with the Holy Ghost.

No comments: