Friday, September 30, 2022

Jogathon 2022

After a couple years of jogathon hiatus, not that they've cancelled the jogathon, I just wasn't able to be there for them, I have new jogathon memories.

Dude was the first to run. This is the first time I see him and he is pumped. After a few years of falling or desperately having to pee, he has made sure to empty his bladder before hand, and run a smart pace. He wants this to be a good last jogathon and I am just happy that he's happy.
 
Here's Dude half way through. He is still remarkably happy, and never fails to give me a high five, even if it means dodging kids to get to me. He isn't fast, but he's steady and not stopping for more than a little bit at a time.

Almost to the end, and is determined to end strong. I cannot be more proud of this performance. With Kinders the field is lined with parents cheering on their babies. With each successive grade, parents either seem to get busier or less enthused because you can see the general drop off of parent cheerleaders. By 5th grade there are very few. I am so grateful I have the flexibility in my schedule to have gone and supported him because that was worth witnessing.

Luca was one of the last classes to run (Dude was one of the first). I've been curious to know how she would do since she has been running laps during recess as a way to escape some friend drama. She has been consistently running when the weather allows and has gotten a few additional beads to add to her running necklace she got from the school.

Look at that enthusiasm in the first lap.

Midway through, however, she looks to be cursing this whole program. That face, I think is truly indicative of her feelings. She is still running, but is pretty off and on about it.

And here she is at the end. All enthusiasm and motivation has failed her, she is content to walk the rest of the way. This girl knows her own mind and is not going to do anything unless she sees the reason behind it. The jogathon and, honestly, sports in general hold very little value for her and at the end of the day, I can't say that I blame her.

No comments: