Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Our Young Man Turns 11

Dude turned 11 this week. In 2020, we got him and his sister an ice cream cake. Luca only ever got the one before she decided she liked other dessert options better. Dude loves the tradition and wants something different every year. This year he wanted a sea monster. He has also gotten a dragon, a knight, and a robot. Since his birthday fell on Memorial Day, we had family birthday day on Monday and friend birthday the next day after school. I picked him, two of his school friends, and Luca up from school and headed to Langers in Sherwood. Langers is an indoor fun center with lasertag, bowling, arcade games, a high ropes course, and rock climbing. When we went over spring break, Luca was tall enough for the high ropes course but Dude wasn't by just an inch. He really wanted to make sure he got to do it this time around. Sadly, one of his friends is afraid of heights and didn't want to do it. I was going to have the friend do other things while he did the ropes course, but Dude decided to be a good friend and forgo so their threesome could stay together. The friend, instead, really wanted to bowl, the very last thing in the fun center Dude wanted to do. For his friend though, he said yes. Knowing how intense Dude can get when the ball doesn't do what he wants it to do, I counseled him to have some cool thoughts in mind should the game not go his way. He waved me off and then proceeded to lose, but all with a pretty good attitude. He wasn't perfect, but  he said yes in order to be a good friend, and then he worked hard to be a good sport. I was so proud of this boy and how much he has matured.

I love this boy of mine. I love that even with his desire for increased independence, he still wants to do what's right and works really hard to make good choices. I love that in the past year he has gotten into a steady habit of scripture study and works to get something out of his time each night. And while I am still scared of the thought of him in Middle School in a few months, I love that I have full faith that he is going to get through the next few years and be better because of them. Good luck dear boy. Every day you make me so proud that I get to be your mama dear.

No comments: