Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Potential Purchase

Matthew thinks I'm crazy, and maybe it's just summer fever, but I have this silly notion that instead of having two cars we don't really use, why not sell one and buy this cute little scooter? Our cars are both paid off and Matt says he'd allow me to buy this sweet piece o' ride on top of it but I feel guilty having two cars and a scooter. So, I'm thinking I might sell my car and use the proceeds to buy this it, among other things.

So what I need from you is rational reasons why I should not go through with this hair-brained scheme, because right now I am not thinking clearly. My head is all a buzz with the glory of riding around town on Greta (I've named her already). But first let me give you a few bits of information to keep in mind as you tell me why I shouldn't do this. 1. Currently Matt's car sits at home all day while he goes to work (he walks), and when we do eventually move to a less walking-friendly distance he says he will just ride his bike. 2. There are few times when we both need to be driving a car. 3. He says for the few times a year I leave town without him, as long as I don't get too girly a color he can either take the scooter or ride his bike. I would of course take the car since driving to Portland going max 40 miles/hour would be both deadly and painfully slow. 4. My car is a stick shift and Matt doesn't know/doesn't want to know how to drive it. 5. Wenatchee weather is night and day different than Seattle. It wouldn't be a feasible mode of operation during the winter but during the summer I would be able to drive it 90% of the time. (Thanks Lizzie and Michael for your comments so far!!)

Okay, I think that's it. Go to and be my reason for me since I can't seem to do the job myself.

And thanks.

6 comments:

Lizzie said...

Sara, doesn't it rain ALL THE TIME there? Even if it's warm you could get soaked. And when you park Greta you might come back to a soaking wet seat to ride home on. I don't know about this.

Michael Asay said...

I would sell Matt's car, give him your Corolla, and then buy a used scooter off of craigslist. Honestly, you guys don't seem to drive much, so why not? But I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like driving a scooter in the middle of winter or during a rain storm. Perhaps even better would be just to buy a bicycle--it's efficient, good exercise, and it doesn't cost anything to operate.

ME said...

Before I even read Michael's comment I was thinking doesn't she already have a bicycle. I'd get a sweet basket for it and just ride your bike around town. Although the scooter is incredibly fuel efficient. Plus if you got rid of one of your cars your insurance would be reduced.

Claudia said...

Do you watch Scrubs? (well,reruns, anyway..) In case you don't, J.D. (the main character) buys a scooter and he names it Sasha. So when you said you'd named it already, I started laughing out loud.

Adam would L.O.V.E. to buy a scooter. Because of the fuel efficiency. I think he would just look rediculous. I men, he's one big dude to have such a small ride. But you, on the other hand, would fit very nicely. Really, do you expect us to make up reasons why this WOULDN'T be a good idea? It makes complete financial sense. So do it! And I want to see pictures of you on it when you get it!

Deanna said...

LOL - we actually did that a year or so ago. Dan got a scooter and takes that to work unless the weather is MISERABLE so that I can have the car for playdates and grocery shopping and such. Just make sure if you get one that the one you get is better quality than the one we got!!

Nichole said...

Why not...but I agree with Michael...keep the corolla...tell Matt to suck it up and learn to drive a stick. A scooter would be fun and different. A basket isn't a bad idea either for your bike. You could loan out your car for a month and see if that works...like when Natalie is here :) or when Chuks comes :)