Saturday, June 13, 2009

That Woman

I have officially become that woman. But before I give too much away, let me first explain.

This weekend Matt had a super exciting estate planning and real estate conference to go to in Spokane. Because it was 1. an opportunity to stay at my favorite hotel - the Davenport, 2. an opportunity to do some shopping at stores I don't normally get to frequent, 3. an opportunity to hang out somewhere other than Wenatchee, and 4. an opportunity to spend time with my husband before I leave next week for Young Women's camp, I opted to come along.

I've been looking at my apparel of late noticing a disturbing trend of endless t-shirts paired with anything from skirts to jeans. I like my t-shirts, especially for tooling around the Wenatch but decided it may be time to reinvest in something a little less casual and a bit more up with the times.

So I came to Spokane with the goal of picking out a few dressier tops for summer. I started at my usual stores but couldn't find anything remotely attractive on me that both sported sleeves and was opaque. I was quickly becoming frustrated at modest shopping when I finally gave in and walked in Nordstrom determined to peer at the sales rack and walk out again when I didn't find anything remotely in my price range.

But that's when I met Kailey, one of Nordstrom's many excellent sales staff. I told her what I was looking for and she directed me to the changing room wherein she proceeded to laden me with a plethora of choices meeting my specifications, many of which, gratefully, were on sale. They were a stretch for my generally conservative/boring clothing fare but I actually came out of the dressing room with a renewed faith in shopping, a love for Kailey and the realization that I've become that woman.

That woman who goes with her husband to conferences and then spends all day in the mall. Matt's grandmother is that woman. This woman can spend days at a time perusing Nordstrom et al. She buys much, wears little, and then ends up giving her granddaughters (comme moi) the rest. I only managed an hour and a half. But even still, I feel a little young to have become that woman. Let's just be thankful Matt doesn't have too many conferences and we don't have enough money to allow for such extravagances.

3 comments:

Brian and Melissa Finley said...

Hey, I want to be THAT woman. Shopping at Nordstroms sounds much better than changing poopy diapers and cleaning toilets :)

Nichole said...

I want to see what Kailey got you to try on and buy...

ME said...

I want to be That woman too! (Said in a whiny voice so high pitched that you'd rather hear fingernails on the chalkboard.) Frankly I'd just like enough time to go get my hair done.